Dad 75 worried

johnmck

hi,
my Dad is 75, he's very worried because today is the last day - according to the intimidating government advertisements to pay the property tax. he never received notification etc. I've told him not to bother, but it's worrying him. He thinks he'll be fined if he doesn't pay it. What should he do.... crazy how a man of his age who paid tax all his life now feels threatened.. but anyway, I'm not going further into that...

I don't know what it is, he got no notifications for anything, so my guess he's not on any computer system. He just keeps hearing the advertisements on the radio, threatening with fines etc. He lives there. Has lived there for past 40 years. Does this qualify him as his first one and only home - thus not liable! I read somewhere there is a loophole like this.

ah ok, I got it's the NPPR, i didn't know what that was. Talk about confusing. Right , so he's never paid the property tax as far as I'm aware, although he can be a little forgetful! I remember him paying the household charge. I thinking we might have to pay it for him and get it all sorted because we were going to look for a grant to get the house fixed up for when he gets a little older. We want to convert the garage into a bedroom and bathroom.

Sounds like he has no need to worry.
Suggest call into your local Co Co office and check it out.Since he has paid household charge I see no issue. Most Co Co are very helpful when situation is explained to them.

You can then all rest easy.

so he's never paid the property tax as far as I'm aware, although he can be a little forgetful! I remember him paying the household charge. I thinking we might have to pay it for him and get it all sorted

Yes. You should sort the LPT (Local Property Tax) as soon as possible. Otherwise you will be liable for all outstanding taxes & penalties if you inherited the house.

I'm surprised that it hasn't been paid already considering your father paid the Household Charge.

It's for people with investment residential properties. It doesn't apply to your dad. Tell him not to worry.

Steven

That is incorrect.

The NNPR was for anyone who had a property in Ireland whether it was rented or not. I was one of those people, I emigrated at the height of the recession and locked up my home in Ireland and even though I was paying high rents abroad I was really astonished to find out a couple years back that I was liable for this tax. I owned no other property.

Considering the large number of people who emigrated from Ireland since 2008 since before this tax was even introduced, it really must number in the thousands. Also in recent days I have come across elderly Irish people in London who had no idea they needed to pay this tax until I told them, in fact I helped two over the last two days pay what they owed on the NPPR website. These would be people who were left small holdings in Ireland after their parents past a number of years past. They are probably similar cases in the States.

The media referred to it as a second home tax when it was nothing of the sort. I also think that the confusion caused with this whole debacle was further worsened by the subsequent introduction of the household tax and then the property tax. I sincerely hope that the person on here who is challenging the tax will be successful because the penalties imposed on unsuspecting people are far too extortionate and grossly unfair.

liffeysider

Get your da to go to nearest citizens information centre.It's walk in,free and confidential.This service is excellent and will sort out all your fathers problems.

I dont think the fines are as large or insane(!) for the LPT so your dad will be ok, it wont come to nearly as much as the NPPR...

Great, thanks for the replies. Regarding citizen information, i'm not overly fond of them and don't think i'll be back to them for help or advise. went to them back in 2011 when I had €120 to my name, my business went to the wall and was told with a smirk "sure didn't you make loads of money during the good times" - my answer - "well I've non left now!" - I was basically told to take a hike, nothing for you , nothing we can do for you

Sorry to hear that re CitizensInfo. Generally I find state agencies surprisingly helpful. They get a bad press sometimes, but that may be down to the individual dealth with. Try again, maybe.

Great, thanks for the replies. Regarding citizen information, i'm not overly fond of them and don't think i'll be back to them for help or advise. went to them back in 2011 when I had €120 to my name, my business went to the wall and was told with a smirk "sure didn't you make loads of money during the good times" - my answer - "well I've non left now!" - I was basically told to take a hike, nothing for you , nothing we can do for you

Sorry to hear that re CitizensInfo. Generally I find state agencies surprisingly helpful. They get a bad press sometimes, but that may be down to the individual dealth with. Try again, maybe.

It may well be a case of 'shoot the messenger'. If Citizens Information were rude, that is unexcuseable. If John is blaming them for informing him that the vast majority of social welfare benefits are means tested, then that is unfair on them. They don't make policy. They just inform people.

My problem with Citizens Information is the reliance on volunteer staff, however well intentioned. It is ludicrous that the State funds staff in TDs offices (who deal with many cases that should really go to Citizens Info) while the real Citizens Info relies on volunteers.

I didn't realize they were voluntary! Are all voluntary? This lady I met knows me, this was 3 years ago now. Got the sense she was kind of happy that I'd fallen on my ass and was left with nothing. Not that I really know her that well, and don't know why she'd have anything against me. Just bitterness and begrudgery I suppose. Mad to think of the overstock of civil servants in some departments that could be sent to do some citizens advise work then! oh well... think I'm leaving next year :)

A few paid staff in the offices but the bulk of them are voluntary, I used to do it myself for a while until I got sick of working for nothing :)

That is incorrect.

The NNPR was for anyone who had a property in Ireland whether it was rented or not. I was one of those people, I emigrated at the height of the recession and locked up my home in Ireland and even though I was paying high rents abroad I was really astonished to find out a couple years back that I was liable for this tax. I owned no other property.
The clue is in the name ; Non Principal Private Residence (NPPR, not NNPR). If you own a house but don't live there most of the time then you are liable.
If I rent a house in Dublin and have a holiday home in Sligo then I am liable for the house in Sligo. If I own the house in Dublin I live in and rent a holiday home in Sligo then I am not (but the owner of either rented property is).

TV3 news bulletins are still referring to it as a second home tax, no wonder people are confused.

Back