Review of Apprenticeships

Thanks for the link. This is a big topic and needs serious overhaul. I'm already involved with this within my own area.
The submission date is now closed but for those seeking to enter the jobs market soon they should remember that many apprenticeships are not in the construction sector and that, to be blunt, most of those taking apprenticeships are not the brightest so if you are smart, like learning and have a good work ethic you will excel.

That is exactly why apprenticeships have been devalued, and most young people, regardless of their suitability are funnelled into university.
I would like to see a Nordic or German system where apprenticeships are offered in a variety of vocational areas, not just construction related trades. And such apprenticeships are valued and prized as much as a degree. The Review Group are an impressive lot, with good international experience, and im looking forward to their findings.

They need to expand and extend the training so that an apprentice can spend 6 years training as a mechanic or electrician or machinist. The off the job training element can be expanded so that it is FETAC accredited and at the end they also have a degree in automotive engineering, electrical engineering or mechanical engineering respectively. Even if they don't have the full degree they are well on their way to having it and they have spent 6 years getting paid to learn rather than paying fees etc.
There's a reason that the standards of Irish tradespeople are so low.

SarahMc; said:
The Review Group are an impressive lot, with good international experience, and im looking forward to their findings.

Hi Sarah,,
Who are the Review Group and what fields do they come from. ?

LS.

Lists them here

http://www.ibec.ie/IBEC/ES.nsf/vPages/HR_news~Latest_HR_news~review-group-established-to-develop-new-apprenticeship-system-13-06-2013/$file/Apprenticeship%20review%20wd.pdf

Back