Is there an entitlement to a 6 week block of parental leave ?

Carmel

My husband would like to take parental leave for 6 weeks next summer. His employer has said he can take parental leave but must take the 14 weeks in one continuous block. We are aware that the amount of parental leave has increased to 18 weeks. I've been looking at the parental leave acts and the 2006 amendment act adds a clause to say that leave may be taken in 2 separate periods each consisting of not less than 6 weeks. This reads to me that there is an entitlement to one 6 week block and that the second block would then have to be 12 weeks (18 - 6).
It appears that the company is only prepared to allow whatever is in the legislation so I'm wondering if I am reading it correctly ?

Up until 2013 (where Parental Leave was 14 weeks); the default option was for the leave to be taken in one uninterrupted block. Where an employee only wanted to take for e.g. 8 weeks they could not at a later date request the remainder.
Now with the increase in duration (since 2013) the default option is for two blocks that must be a minimum of 6 weeks each. So in your Husbands situation he should be able to take two six week blocks; However after that he has no legal entitlement to be able to use the remainder.
So in summary your Husbands employer is not enforcing the legislation correctly, your Husband should be able to take 2 distinct six week blocks but he then has no entitlement to the remaining 6 weeks.
In my place of work people have been able to avail of a day a week every week or easter / xmas as parental leave. I know that in my other halfs' (large institution) they are now allowing only 2 distinct blocks.

Back