Should I upgrade to iPhone 5c?

ericsson

Hi there,

I have been due an upgrade with Three for the past few months. Have an iPhone 4s which I love but it has been playing up a bit lately and I fear it might be nearly on its way out. My bill is about €40 per month which I'm happy with. When I was talking to their upgrade team they said I could upgrade to the 5s for €150 (approx I think) or the 5c for €35 (again approx). I had told them I wasn't looking for a new phone at the minute but not that my phone is starting to freeze and the battery isn't as good as it used to be I'm thinking maybe it's time to upgrade. Any opinions on what I should do? Should I wait until my phone physically dies? Should I upgrade? Also, if I upgrade, I'm tempted to go with the 5c as money isn't very good at the minute, but if I do will I regret it as the 5s seems more popular? I know people say the 5c is very plasticky but I have to say I have no problem with it.

Any opinions?

Also what would you suggest I do with my old 4s if I do upgrade?

Thanks,
Ericsson :)

Only you can decide what you want to do! It comes down to how much you want to spend on a fone. If the latest and greatest were of interest to you you would have changed before now.

In any event hold off for a few weeks till the 6 comes out as prices may drop.

Thanks for taking the time to reply Peteb. I guess the 5c would be perfect for my needs. I'm not mad into technology and dont have to have the best. I guess I was worrying about getting the 5c, regretting it later, and being stuck into a long contract. Your right about waiting for the iphone 6 to come out though, the price of the 5s and 5c May come down further.

Thanks again.

You don't say if you are PAYG or bill pay.
My advice to folk is, once the fone is "paid" for under the initial contact, then switch to PAYG if it suits your lifestyle and use the fone till it dies.

Case in point: Father in-law paid 45 a month for 18 moth for a iphone with O2
He is now on PAYG with 3 and the first 20 euro has not been spent yet, 2 months later.

AFAIK For 150 or so Apple will replace the battery as part of a refurb, they will re install the software and remove all the krud that is slowinging it down.

The above is not for everyone, but if mula is tight then it gives u an option to save for the 7 :).

1. Ditch Apple
2. Sell old phone on Donedeal
3. Buy second hand unlocked android phone on Donedeal
4. Sign up to 48months network for E20/month
5. Relax you're done

I pay €10/month to 48months.ie, using my ex-O2-billpay iPhone 4. Haven't the slightest interest in anything fancier. I'll replace it whenever it dies, or maybe in about twenty years time, whichever is sooner. :D

Isn't the Iphone 6 due this year maybe wait.

I would also second the android option.

the sony Z1 compact looks good even on PAYG

... I guess the 5c would be perfect for my needs. I'm not mad into technology and dont have to have the best. I guess I was worrying about getting the 5c, regretting it later, and being stuck into a long contract. ...
I would suggest sticking with Apple if you're happy with their products. Why not try to source a 2nd hand SIM-free iPhone 5?

I paid €275 for a 64 GB iPhone 5 a few months ago and pay TescoMobile €25 / month for a SIM-only plan - 10,000 minutes, 10,000 texts, 15GB data and I'm more than happy with the iPhone, service provider and the services / products from both. The service is a rolling 30-day contract with TescoMobile.

Thanks again for all the advice guys. Sorry I am currently on bill pay, €40 per month contract and I very rarely would go over, only if I have to ring 1890 numbers realy. I am not a big caller and mainly use viber to text. At home I do not have wifi and I am constantly browsing the web on my phone through 3G. I use it for netflix loads and am always on Facebook, AAM and other apps. As far as I know my internet is currently unlimited (as much as unlimited is!) Is there any way of finding out how much data I use in a month?

Mathepac your package sounds great, do you think 15GB would be enough data for me? I'm clueless when it comes to MB, GB etc. My oh is on the same plan as me, maybe it would be cheaper to both change to cheaper package and get wifi!

Also edited to add that I definitely want to stick to the iphone as I'm used to the layout etc, very stuck in my ways! Tried to use a samsung galaxy a few weeks ago and I couldn't get my head around it at all.

Thanks again for all the advice guys. Sorry I am currently on bill pay, €40 per month contract and I very rarely would go over, only if I have to ring 1890 numbers realy. I am not a big caller and mainly use viber to text. At home I do not have wifi and I am constantly browsing the web on my phone through 3G. I use it for netflix loads and am always on Facebook, AAM and other apps. As far as I know my internet is currently unlimited (as much as unlimited is!) Is there any way of finding out how much data I use in a month? ..l.
Your service provider, your monthly bill / ebill. Your plan will tell you the upper limits of calls, texts and data. TescoMobile allow tethering (connecting computer to phone and using phone as modem).

Mathepac your package sounds great, do you think 15GB would be enough data for me? I'm clueless when it comes to MB, GB etc. My oh is on the same plan as me, maybe it would be cheaper to both change to cheaper package and get wifi!

Also edited to add that I definitely want to stick to the iphone as I'm used to the layout etc, very stuck in my ways! Tried to use a samsung galaxy a few weeks ago and I couldn't get my head around it at all.
One of the best packages around IMHO and it suits me. I can't say whether it'll suit you or not, you'll need to know how much data you and you oh consume. By all means stick with an iPhone if Android / Windows phones are not you thing

Back