New York Subway

Tired Paul

Before anyone starts giving links to sites on how to use the subway system in NYC i'm looking to see how any first timers using the subway have found it.

Is it complciated?
Are the staff friendly if you have a query?
Is it ok to ask a New Yorker for directions etc?
I know you can get a metro card for travelling but is it just as easy to get a taxi if its only for 10-15 mins journey?

I'm not too concerned about using the subway but I'll soon be travelling with a very nervous better half who has read all the horror stories about the subway.

cheers in advance.

Hi there..

I will say it depends on where you want to travel. Are you staying mainly in Manhattan?

What I found was, there are a few main routes that travel North-South (like the N,R approx. along Broadway) and then there are a few main stations which are good for transferring (like 14th, 34th etc) so I just stuck to those & walked a few blocks when I emerged. So no, not complicated. Yes, the staff were great! Loud & enthusiastic (be polite to them!) and I much preferred the subway to taking a cab, due to traffic & the fact that I couldnt tell if we were going the shortest route.

Ok, probably not like a native new yorker uses the subway, but if you are staying mostly in Manhattan you'll be fine (I'm going back next year & cannot wait!)

Before anyone starts giving links to sites on how to use the subway system in NYC i'm looking to see how any first timers using the subway have found it.

Is it complciated?
Are the staff friendly if you have a query?
Is it ok to ask a New Yorker for directions etc?
I know you can get a metro card for travelling but is it just as easy to get a taxi if its only for 10-15 mins journey?

I'm not too concerned about using the subway but I'll soon be travelling with a very nervous better half who has read all the horror stories about the subway.

cheers in advance.

It's not complicated and people will love to help. New York really appreciates and is grateful for it's tourist industry. Wasn't always like that but they have huge efforts.

Absolutely use the subway. Taxi's are fine and better than they used to be with regard to driver knowledge but you don't really need them to get around. Walking and the subway is more than sufficient.

Subway is great. It can be a little complicated if you end up on an express train by mistake but usually you can easily get off the next stop and just head back on a slow train.

It was great value and we found it very safe. Taxis are cheap but unless it's late at night or on a weekend the traffic can be very heavy so your short journey might take a fair bit of time.

I've only used the subway once, so it was definitely my first time. The fact that I don't remember much about it makes me think it was completely straightforward to use. I used it between mid- and downtown Manhattan, during day time, and seemed completely safe apart from a bunch of fraudsters near the top of one of the stairways, but they were nothing to do with the subway. Taxis on the other hand were hair raising experiences, best done with your eyes closed.

Thanks all for the replies. Feel much better now and better half will be more relaxed about using the Subway.
We are staying next to Ground zero so I know the Broadway line services near here so looks like this would be the best option for getting furhter into Manhatten to see the Empire State Building, Central park etc.
Can't wait to go now.
T. paul.

@Tired_Paul

Fantastic! stick mostly to the N,R and get out & walk from there (if its a couple of blocks).. you'll get a much better experience of NYC that way.

A final thing - be observant when you exit the station - there are usually several exits from the one station - so you will need to know which direction you want to walk - lower numbered streets are south of you, and higher streets north & avenues on your right (east) will have lower numbers & vice versa.

An example, exit the N,R on Herald Square (which is 34th street & 6th Ave) and heading to the Empire State (34th & 5th Ave).. you'll need to stay on 34th and head east to 5th Ave.

Have a fab time!

Back