overflow pipe

djkat

Hi everyone

Over the last few mornings i have noticed water coming out of my overflow pipe, I have gone up in the attic and found the large tank quite full and that the ballcock is quite low in the water,

Should the ballcock not be on the top on the water like in the small tank whick is beside it?

Also the arm of the ballcock is quite stiff and not life the smaller tank where there is good play in the arm

The water stop from the overflow when the taps and toliets is used a couple of time

how will i fix this?

Thanks

Sounds like your ballcock is either obstructed or broken.Chances are it will need to be replaced - easily replaced and available at any hardware.

you could check to see if something (Plastic mabye) is stuck in the valve, which is preventing it from closing fully. If that doesnt work you could gently bend the arm downwards, which will reduce the amount of water in tank and stop overflow.

So falasarana the ballcock shouldnt be ontop of the water like in the smaller tank

The ball operates the arm which closes the valve (cock)
The ball floats till it closes the valve.If the ball is faulty ie has water in it ,the ball will not produce enough pressure on the arm to close the valve fully,therefore water would still get into the tank till it overflows.when you flush the toilet it starts the process again.To test ,at the tank gently lift the arm upwards ,you should have no water running from the valve.If you still have water running it is the valve. best of luck and i'll resist the cock and ball story line

sorry mick1960

should the ballcock be on top of the water as it is half under and half over at the moment and the water is very high in the tank

should i put the taps on and pump some of the water into the lower tank?

It you turn on the cold water in your bath, the level of the water in the tank will drop.

It sounds like you need a new ballcock and float. This is a job for the DIYer. If you can get the exact same ballcock you will be albe to change it by unscrewing one nut. Just besure you know how to isolate mains into house.

Back