bring a 6 year old to new york?

liketoknow

i have a 6 year old who i think would really love the sights of new york, i was there in november and i think he would love it. people are saying its the biggest city in the world an not a place for a child. would anyone have views on this?

why wouldn't he love it? sure if you went on a shopping holiday with him he's going to get bored but if you do the right stuff then I'm sure he'd have a ball.

A few things that might be of interest:

Empire State Building
South Street Sea Port
USS Intrepid Sea & Air Museum
Museum of Natural History
Central Park
Any of the Zoo's (Central Park, Bronz, Queens)
Statue of Liberty
Circle Line
Battery Park
FAO Schwartz
Open top bus ride
Ice Skating @ Rockefella Plaza
Times Square
Planet Hollywood/Hard Rock Cafe/ESPN Sports Cafe

I'm sure there are a lot of other options as well.

If he likes museums and parks and buses in Ireland then your sorted. Depends on the child really.

tell me about it! friends have said its no place for a 6 year but i wonder why? it wouldnt be to bring him shopping , just to sight see

You should both love it, kids that age have the energy for a city like that, and Americans will heap attention on him in Restaurants etc., weather may be a little extreme in November though

A few things that might be of interest:

Personally I don't think these would be of interest. Older kids and adults maybe.

South Street Sea Port
USS Intrepid Sea & Air Museum
Museum of Natural History
Statue of Liberty
Circle Line
Battery Park
Times Square
Planet Hollywood/Hard Rock Cafe/ESPN Sports Cafe

These probably.

Empire State Building
Any of the Zoo's (Central Park, Bronz, Queens)
FAO Schwartz
Open top bus ride
Central Park (maybe)
Ice Skating @ Rockefella Plaza (maybe)

But like you say theres probably other things once you are there. They'd like the plane ride and all the americana all around anyway.

tell me about it! friends have said its no place for a 6 year but i wonder why? it wouldnt be to bring him shopping , just to sight see

I brought my son there although he was little older 9 at the time and he aboslutely loved it. I thought there would be nothing there for kids myself but went previous year without him and then saw all the things there was.

The toy shop alone will keep him entertained and then there are the skating rinks and zoos, small one in central park and big one in I think Brooklyn.

He will have a ball

thanks for all the replies, i think the toy shop he would love, i could barely drag myself out of it in november i wanted a go on the ferris wheel but no one would tag along!!! 22 cowardly women and NOT ONE would come with me so i chickened out!

planet hollywood in time square i think he would love , also the m and m store, central park , the zoo, the statue of liberty and definitely the empire state building.
i went up with my mother and sisters but we were qeueing for about and hour and a half and got fed up and left only when we got outside did we realise it was getting dark and the busiest time to go up is the evening!!

has he seen a Night at the Museum? if he has then if he's anything like my fella he will want to go there.

I'd say he'd love it. Went there with my brother and his 7 year old last year and had a great time. He really enjoyed the circle line boat trip and FAO Schwartz was a huge hit, even loved the subway.
Just remember the queues are very long for Empire State etc.

thanks di74

im going to sound like a right plum but everyone is talking about fao swartz, what is it?

i was there in november and have never heard of it!!

your not a plum! fao schwartz is one of the biggest toy stores in the world, its magical for kids and adults alike!!!

Back