Entitled to pay for cruise in dollars?

RonanL

Hello.

I wasn't 100% sure which section to put this question in, so apologies if I got it wrong.

I am about to book a cruise with one of the main cruise operators. When I was looking it up on their website in work, it assumed I was based in america (I work for a US company so the network settings must have lead them to that assumption). Anyway, I went through the whole process of selecting a cruise, and took note of the price (in dollars). Last night I sat down at home to actually book it, but the prices were all in Euro. For the exact same cruise, the price difference works out at over 100 dollars. The website won't let me book it in dollars because my address is in Ireland. I'm going to ring them this evening, but I would like to know if legally I am entitled to pay in whatever currency I choose? Are they allowed charge us more simply because we're booking from Ireland?

Thanks,

Ronan

Most products are sold in different countries at different prices . Nothing illegal or wrong with that.
They can bill you in whatever currency they want. Its not your decision, you have no legal right to choose the currency. Actually you have no legal rights at all until you enter the contract which you have not yet done. To enter the contract you must agree a consideration and they are stating that the consideration is in Euro.
They may give you something off by ringing them but I wouldn't approach it from a point of having legal rights as you don't have any.

Thanks for the reply Aidan. I'll chance my arm but it looks like they don't have to do anything for me. I just thought it seemed harsh that the currency would make such a price difference.

To answer your question jhegarty, it's Royal Caribbean.

It's a bit of a sharp practice to preclude you from purchasing on the US-based site but as a previous poster has said, it's still your choice as to whether you want to proceed with the purchase on the terms offered.

It might be preferable to ring and do the innocent in the hope they'll do something for you. there's nothing to lose.

BTW, Royal Carribbean are superb as a choice of cruise operator.

I tried calling to see if I could make any progress, but it didn't work out. Oh well!

Staples, I'm glad to hear positive things about the operator. We're looking forward to it.

Thanks to everyone who replied. Much appreciated.

I tried calling to see if I could make any progress, but it didn't work out. Oh well!

Staples, I'm glad to hear positive things about the operator. We're looking forward to it.

Thanks to everyone who replied. Much appreciated.

I booked with carnival last year and was given the option of what currency i wanted to pay in .

funny,, last year i was in sweden and booking a flight home thru an established airline

going to dublin,, they quoted 430 euro,, then i logged in saying i was an american,, so i just had to give a US address etc,

same flight, was 119 usd

think at the time it exchanged at 92 euro,, WOW..

SO LESSONS TO BE LEARNT

Thanks for the reply Aidan. I'll chance my arm but it looks like they don't have to do anything for me. I just thought it seemed harsh that the currency would make such a price difference.

To answer your question jhegarty, it's Royal Caribbean.

Its always going to be cheaper from a US travel agent...

Here are two that deal with Ireland (no connection):

http://www.vacationstogo.com/
http://smartcruiser.com/

Back