Insurance premiums taken but I may or may not have been covered?

shesells

Not sure if this belongs in here or in with mobile phone stuff so mods feel free to move if necessary.

Have purchased my last 3 mobiles in CPW on Grafton St and have always had their insurance. When I recently upgraded there was trouble with the insurance, they couldn't find any insurance on my previous phone though I had been paying by DD. Eventually the manager found a different "lead" - my 1st CPW phone had been insured and when I changed, the staff member had not transferred the insurance over to phone 2, though she insisted she had. The manager re-assured me that my phone would have been covered if anything had happened.

There was still some problem so they had me fill out another mandate and said they'd cancel the first policy (which I'd been paying for 2 years). So new mandate filled out for phone 3.

Next month I realise 2 DD payments had been taken so I called CPW. Eventually get to speak to someone who says they'll cancel the duplicate policy and refund the month overcharged. I ask if I could have been covered if anything happened to phone 2 and she categorically said no, phone 1 was covered for 2 years (though I only used it for 1 year).

I then requested a refund of the year paid when I was not covered, she said if I could get confirmation from the network of the date I stopped using it and put it in writing she would refund that money.

Put request in writing to store manager, he phoned today and insisted phone 2 was actually covered. He says person who told me that it wasn't was wrong.

Who to believe? It's very convenient for them to say that it was covered seeing as nothing happened to phone 2, and it saves them giving me back my money.

Do I have any rights to get my money refunded?

Separate point - why are you paying insurance for this sort of stuff (small and usually relatively low cost consumer electronics goods)? It's generally bad value for money, is inflated with high charges/commissions, you may already have some cover from your home insurance in certain situations and you might be better off saving what you would pay on premiums towards replacing the goods yourself if/when necessary (i.e. "self insurance").

I guess I've just always had insurance on my phone. Probably should re-visit now that sim-free are no longer so prohibitively expensive. Will re-examine the whole thing, once I sort out CPW!

Back