What/What Not to Buy at Lidl/Aldi

Now 2014 and Lidl and Aldi are not now the "gawdawful" places they were made out to be by people who were too snobbish to shop there. Today we have the BMW brigade etc., parked outside. Both Aldi and Lidl have the best fruit and veg on the market. Always fresh due to the high turnover and very reasonably priced. Last week I got 2kg of Italian coffee beans for €7.50 - great value and good coffee.
I also love the specials they have on offer every week - fishing gear, running gear, gardening items, DIY etc. etc., great value and some real bargains. Also notice in last Saturday's Irish Times magazine they recommend Aldi's Picpoul white wine. did you ever think you'd see the day. To all those who still turn their noses up I say - Drop the snob inside you and try. You won't regret it.

It is funny how Irish people often dislike and are extremely conservatively opposed to change even when it is in their own good. It might be the propaganda of vested interests as people ended up going to these stores in the end despite the attempt by the media to project some sense of shame onto them. (my personal opinion)

Last week I got 2kg of Italian coffee beans for €7.50 - great value and good coffee.

2kg :eek: ?

I use coffee 15g per shot. 2kg would give me over 130 shots.

Coffee beans are, generally, recommended to be ground and consumed within one month of roasting.

130 shots of coffee in one month, assumimg coffee was bought on or near date of roast.

Italian coffee beans. Do you mean grown in Italy, or roasted in Italy. Unlikely to be grown so, if roasted there, you're getting them some time after roasting.

Great value and good coffee. That's be a No and a No from me :p.

Lidl Rip Off

Has anyone else noticed Lidl being quite sneaky lately. They are telling us they are the best, they are putting forward a clean, friendly, affordable image in all their promotion and marketing material but they are not openly admitting to ripping off consumers.

I agree that Lidl, and any other supermarket for that matter, are entitled to charge as much as they like for their products but I feel quite strongly about supermarkets ripping off consumers.

Please feel free to comment if you feel I am being too harsh but I strongly disagree with supermarkets without notice or warning marginally reducing product sizes and maintaining original pricing.

Lidl have recently done this with their pumpkin-seed-bread. It has always retailed at €1.99 per loaf. It now still retails at €1.99 per loaf but Lidl have without warning and without any advertising whatsoever fractionally reduced the size of their pumpkin-seed-bread loaf. What is the difference between doing this and advertising one price at the shelf and they charging a higher price at the till?

Please give me some feedback.

Hardly a "Lidl rip off" as your post title suggests, even if it's true.

Have you evidence for this whatsoever "fractionally reduced the size of their pumpkin-seed-bread loaf."?

Maybe you work for Aldi?!!

Lidl have recently done this with their pumpkin-seed-bread. It has always retailed at €1.99 per loaf. It now still retails at €1.99 per loaf but Lidl have without warning and without any advertising whatsoever fractionally reduced the size of their pumpkin-seed-bread loaf. What is the difference between doing this and advertising one price at the shelf and they charging a higher price at the till?

Please give me some feedback.

Big difference, I am assuming that the bread is priced and associate weight is presented to the purchaser at point of offer, so therefore you know how much you are getting for the price, but in your latter example you are being asked to pay more than the "offer to treat" price advertised.
Which if done intentionally is illegal.

Apologies if this has been mentioned already but I only just noticed yesterday that Lidl are doing Nespresso compatible pods - 10 for €1.99 - good value as I have been buying Cafe Impresso at €3.50 for 10 and the Lidl espresso are nicer imo, has anyone else tried them? (sorry not sure how much actual Nescafe pods are its been so long since I bought them)

Alot of the power tools and hand tools (drills,angle grinders,chop saws,mitre saws,hand saws,pry bars,sds drill bits and various others) in Lidl and Aldi are fantastic value for money.
3 year guarantee too for peace of mind.
I have a fair auld selection of Aldi and Lidl hand tools and power tools and I cant really fault any of it.

And Ive given most of my stuff some serious stick over the years.

My best purchase in that line was definitely the power washer which finally packed it in after 2 years and 10 months of some serious (ab)use around not only our house and garden but a couple of neighbours' too. I notice they were coming up on offer again the following week, brought mine back to the store on the day, and walked out with a brand new replacement almost without having to ask for it.

I nearly felt guilty about it! :D

I find the Aldi curry sauces very nice and at 79c they're very good value. Ingredients aren't too unhealthy either.

I don't like bread from these shops
The Aldi White MegaToasty, Batch and Farmhouse Soda are all good, as are the Lidl baked in-store breads. I note that you only registered on AAM today. Looking at your blizzard of posts thus far it's a shame you didn't pick the username Brevity O'Brien.

+1...the inhouse bakery in Lidl is top notch. Kids love the various breads and croissants/scones etc. Great way to keep them away from the crap sweets and crisps.

The croissants are half the price you'd pay in my local Supervalu

+1...the inhouse bakery in Lidl is top notch. Kids love the various breads and croissants/scones etc. Great way to keep them away from the crap sweets and crisps.

The croissants are half the price you'd pay in my local Supervalu

:D Agreed they do nice stuff Delboy but don't fool yourself that a croissant is any healthier than a packet of crisps!

406 calories in a butter packed croissant

185 calories in a packet of crisps

Give them an apple instead!

mf
:D

Pair of black or green steel toe capped wellington boots for 12 euro in Aldi at the moment.
Fleece lined wellington boots (no steel toe cap) in Lidl for 12 euro.

These same wellington boots are 30 euro in alot of diy superstores and builders providers (20 in 1 or 2 builders providers).

Lidl are going to open a brand new store right beside Omni Shopping Centre in Santry.

They have bought the old Queensway Furniture Store site and land behind it.

This will be direct competition to Aldi around the corner on Santry Avenue and also Tesco in the Omni Shopping Centre.

Area Area 5 – North Central

Application Number 3246/13

Application Type Permission

Decision GRANT PERMISSION

Decision Date 08-Nov-2013

Applicant Lidl Ireland Gmbh

Location Swords Road, Santry, Dublin 9, (North of Omni Park Shopping Centre & to the rear of former Queensway Furniture store)

Proposal Permission for the development of convenience and comparison retail floorspace and associated works and development measuring approx. 3660 sqm gross floor space on a site of 1.2 hectares.
The proposed development comprises: the demolition of an existing warehouse / office building measuring 3667 sqm and associated and ancillary structures and site development works; the construction of a phased development, Phase 1 comprising a single storey double height Licensed Discount Foodstore measuring 1831 sqm with a net sales area of 1287 sqm and a single storey electricity sub-station measuring 48 sqm; and, Phase 2 comprising three adjoining single storey double height retail units with a gross floor area of 1781 sqm and net sales areas measuring approximately 384, 492 and 600 sqm; the provision of a surface car park comprising 65 no. spaces and 18 no. cycle spaces in association with Phase 1 and the assignment of 47 no. existing parking spaces within the existing Omni Park car park dedicated to Phase 2; customer vehicular and pedestrian access to the proposed development is to be via new connections to the existing Omni Park car park and service / delivery access is to be via the existing Santry Hall Industrial Estate access road which will be upgraded; the proposed development also comprises car parking and access modifications / integration to the adjoining previously permitted mixed use scheme (Reg. Ref: 6584/07); and, the provision of signage, and totem signage on Swords Road, boundary treatments, hard and soft landscaping, lighting, connections to drainage and water services and all other ancillary and associated works including within the Omni Park car park and other enabling works to form connections to the Omni Park Shopping Centre.

406 calories in a butter packed croissant

185 calories in a packet of crisps

Give them an apple instead!

mf
:D

Wow....thanks for that. They'll get a carrot each next time we're in Lidl so and I'll tell them that MF told me to do it!

@Delboy:

You'd be financially better off giving them a stick of celery this week:

€0.39 (for a head of celery) in Lidl.
Just saying :)

Marion

My best purchase in that line was definitely the power washer which finally packed it in after 2 years and 10 months of some serious (ab)use around not only our house and garden but a couple of neighbours' too. I notice they were coming up on offer again the following week, brought mine back to the store on the day, and walked out with a brand new replacement almost without having to ask for it.

I nearly felt guilty about it! :D

That's service for you, well done!

Back