Bequest when child reaches 18th birthday

emeralds

My father in law died a number of years ago. He had made a will leaving everything to his wife in the usual way. She is still alive and in good health. He left a number of minor bequest to charities which were paid out by the executors.
There are 6 grandchildren of whom my eldest child is the oldest and is soon to turn 18.
In his will my father in law stipulated that when each of his grandchildren reaches their 18th birthday they are to receive the amount allowed to them up to the CAT threshold, which is currently at €30,150.
Am I correct them to assume that my child should receive this amount on his birthday (or thereafter)? And how is that triggered?

If he left everything to his wife, your MIL, then where are the assets ad who are the executors to administer theses funds?

Are you sure this is the case and not the case if his wife predeceased him.

The other thing that bothers me here is that if the pot is not big enough do the first grandchildren get it all and the others are left out?

The assets are in bank savings, Savings certs, insurance policies. The executors are my husband and his 2 siblings.
Its definitely the case - the solicitor assisting with the probate did point it out at the time.
And yes, the pot is plenty big enough for all grandchildren. And MIL will be very comfortable financially.
I have no issue with whether or not my child gets the money while he is still in school!
I am really just curious about the mechanics of it. Is it up to the executors to execute this when the time comes?

Then perhaps this line in the original post is not as it seems:

"He had made a will leaving everything to his wife in the usual way."

Its up to the executors to do what they are required as per the terms of the will

I would imagine that they are now the trustees of the trust which has the assets.

The trustees are responsible for the trust assets.

Its the trustees that have to distribute the assets to the beneficiary on the occasion of their 18th birthday.

Does the will say the CAT Group B threshold on death or when the child is 18? as it was higher!

Back