College Fees and Expenses

immaturity and going to college is a problem
Bingo, imho...

Every year, I see a fair few 1st year students (esp. Arts) who seem to fall into this category. They've filled in their CAO application midway through 6th year, i.e. at age 16-17, usually under the watchful eye of ambitious parents, then failed to get a place on the course of choice and have been packed off to "go-to-college" anyway... [etc.]

By contrast, the 10-15% of "mature" students (>24 <124) are invariably at the top of the class, and imho seem to genuinely enjoy what they're doing and benefit from it.

My own eldest* will only be turning 17 after her LC results come out, i.e. about a month before starting college (presuming she does) and tbh, if she expresses the faintest interest in taking a year out first, I'd be inclined to encourage her.

[Edit: so far wise, mature and 'responsible' far beyond her 15 years, thank God! :D]

Couldn't agree more with the last two comments. Daughter did leaving cert at 17 and applied usual degree and diploma places. Took up the diploma course ( animation dun laoghaire - now degree course) but after completing the course showed absolutely no interest, took year 'out' doing bits and bobs and has since returned to college, now more focused and settled then when she was 17. a year out at end of leaving cert would have been a better choice, both for both of us. luckily as it was a diploma course and she completed she was allowed to 'progress' to a degree course with no fees. but it still costs a lot of money to run through college again. and of course her friends all have cars etc now but she's happy enough with her decision. old proverb about young head on old shoulders still applies. going back to the original poster got the 'bill' from dcu for next years 1semister for campus, (€300 deposit already paid) €2490 - which includes the electricity charge and if not paid by tomorrow incurs an €60 'administration' surcharge. but they still have not refunded last years deposit.
the law profession wouldn't get a look in when it comes to campus residences and their ability to collect and presumably bank deposits long before you are entitled to claim residence. no doubt summer students from overseas were milked earlier in the year for summer residence of the same accommodation.

Most of the pros and cons listed here for whether to go to college or go straight to paid employment only look at the financials - but what about the personal development side of it?

Some of the best days of my life were in college - free from school restrictions, meeting people from different backgrounds and nationality, being exposed to new influences, loving the new stuff I was learning and being challenged by the brightest people from other schools.
I would never discourage anyone from going to college - even if you could go straight into full time employment and save some money. You'll probably make it back anyway in the long run due to higher salary.

The only thing I would do differently is take my mother's advice and take a gap year after college, instead of going into paid employment. As she put it "you'll be working enough years - dont rush into a job".

Just wondering if any of the enrolment fees can be claimed back on tax?Or is it stricly fees only?Thanks
I think it's only tuition fees that benefit from tax relief. As far as I remember the old style capitation fees did not and I guess that enrollment fees are the same thing?

Agree with Ragazza & am suprised at the prevailing attitude to college here on AAM.

College were the formative years of my life, & I wouldn't change them for anything.

Though, must be said college is not for everyone. Cannot look at it in terms of pure financials either.

Back