Where to move money. AIB bad?

Donkeyman

What should I do with my money.

44k sitting in the post office bonds. Only on first year.
14k sitting in an aib current account
10k sitting in an aib online notice 7 account
9k sitting in an aib online savings account. (I havent added or removed money from this for ages, Im not even sure its returning any interest at this point. I read AIBs terms for this but they are too confusing.)
2k sitting on credit card.

I don't think I should touch money in post office, but feel like I should close my aib account and go elsewhere. Preferably I don't want to tie up this money as I may need it soon, I just don't want it sitting there doing nothing in the meantime.

Those amounts are all below the government guarantee limit, so just check out the best demand deposit rates on the Savings Best Buys thread.

44k sitting in the post office bonds. Only on first year.

What rate are you getting? Which NTMA State Savings product do you have?

14k sitting in an aib current account

Good god! Get that out of there as you are earning zero interest. Also, switch your current account to a PTSB free current account.

10k sitting in an aib online notice 7 account

You are not getting the best return possible for your money. It seems you want an instant access account, have you read the best buys for instant access accounts?

9k sitting in an aib online savings account. (I havent added or removed money from this for ages, Im not even sure its returning any interest at this point. I read AIBs terms for this but they are too confusing.)

Is that the AIB Personal Online Saver product? The legacy product? If so, you are getting a very poor return for your money with this product. Close it. Switch.

2k sitting on credit card.

2k positive? 2k negative?

If you have 2k positive, there is no need for this. You are getting zero return for this money. Pay your credit card monthly when the bill comes in, don't keep a positive balance.

If you have 2k negative, pay it off straight away using your savings. You are paying a very high rate of interest.

I don't think I should touch money in post office,

Depends on term and rate.

but feel like I should close my aib account and go elsewhere.

Yeah, close all your AIB accounts and move them.

Thanks CiaranT,

For state saving I have the 3 year one.
2k in credit card is positive.

I think I will go with PTSB and move everything over.
Are these a good bank in general to deal with and trust?

Thanks CiaranT,

Very dangerous to have that type of credit on a credit card. That type of situation is usually only used by people on holidays, if that is their preferred use of currency. With the possibility of 4/5/6 weeks interest free credit it is best to avail of that and just ensure that you clear your bill each month. Manna from heaven to a thief if card stolen or fraud of some description.

Best not to have all your eggs in one basket by moving everything to PTSB, certainly move current ac, as recommended by CiaranT. Best to familiarise yourself with the AAM Best Buys as previously mentioned.

Agreed that keeping 2k positive on your credit card is not a good idea.

The AIB comment is purely due to the fact that you can get a better return for your money elsewhere.

I have had a current account with PTSB for some time without any major issues.

Thanks CiaranT,

I am a new customer with PTSB and apart from a few little "errors" starting off (I believe that was possibly down to the volume of new customers recently) I have had no problems with them since. You could keep your 3 accounts separate if you wish same as your set up with AIB.

Open the current account first, you will need to make an appointment with a branch or complete a application & return it by post. If you lodge €1500 per mth you will receive free banking & 1% interest on balances up to €1500. Once the c/a is in place & you have access to online banking you can open up the Online Regular Saver 2.7% int. & the Instant Online Instant access 2% int.
The online banking system they use is ok, just takes a little getting use to the basic layout compared to Danske bank.

Hi just a query. Have recently been approved a € 3.5k blance on a new Tesco Card with Tesco. Have to move from Danske. I would intend using it to purchase most things and clear every month. A poster said above it's a bad idea to be in positiver on the Card re fraud etc., Is it ok on the other hand to have a limit of €3.5k and not be using it to the full . i.e should I be telling Tesco I only want a limity ay of € 1k or € 2k on it. Thanks.

Is it ok on the other hand to have a limit of €3.5k and not be using it to the full .

That's fine. Just pay the bill, in full, each month.

i.e should I be telling Tesco I only want a limity ay of € 1k or € 2k on it. Thanks.

You might find 1-2k very restrictive. I would think that there is little reason to have a lower cap. If fraud occurs on your account, Tesco Bank should reimburse you.

Back