How safe are deposits in AIB?

...I did hear a guy talking on the radio this morning ...he sounded like he knew what he was talking about.

Aaaah!!!! Isnt this what got the country into a mess in the first place, people trusting people that sound like they know what they are talking about.

Priests, bankers, alternative medical practioners, and most of all politicians. They are just people that are good talkers. The more they sound like they know what they are talking about, the more likely they are to be chancers.

Anyone who comes on the radio and trys to explain the complexities of a situation and admits that they dont have all the answers is swept aside by people that sound more certain. That appear to know.

Develop your own opinions based on what you know yourself. Its difficult but better than the alternative

Think of the economic commentators who have been reassuring you.

And then remember what they said about property.

If you you have a mortgage with the AIB and various savings accounts also with them, surely the risk is not so bad? This may be a silly question, but if the bank do not have sufficient funding to honour savings accounts, could the amount of debt not be reduced by this amount should things turn very bad? If this were the case, what would be the reason for moving money from the AIB?

Trueblue

If you you have a mortgage with the AIB and various savings accounts also with them, surely the risk is not so bad? This may be a silly question, but if the bank do not have sufficient funding to honour savings accounts, could the amount of debt not be reduced by this amount should things turn very bad? If this were the case, what would be the reason for moving money from the AIB?

Trueblue

In the Netherlands, when a bank failed about a year ago, debts were netted with savings under 100,000 EUR. This meant that your debt got reduced by up to 100,000 EUR.

"netting" is allowed when a bank fails.

If you have a mortgage with a bank and deposits with a bank and you don't want your deposits "netted", however unlikely for it to occur, then you should have your deposits in a different banks

my friend is doing a masters in DIT and was told by one of his lecturers to get any money he had out of AIB, I am so worried as i have €11,500 in an arklife pip scheme, I think it's medium risk and it buys shares in the top 100 Irish companies. What could happen to my deposit if AIB goes to the wall?? The fund is down under what I have paid into it and a couple of months back I had decided to leave it to recover and continue paying into it for another 5 years of so. Now I just don't know what I should be doing :( I had another 10,000 in a BOI account which I moved to Nationwide UK but I am hesitant to cash in my shares as some people are saying this is the time when you should be buying more!! anyone any thoughts on this???

Back