Ulster Bank Regular Saver changes

Thanks for update... worried there for awhile that they had it reduced similar to rate as per their similar interest deposit account when >15K

Now that it is a legacy product, almost certainly Ulster Bank will reduce the rate to 0.01% over a period of time.

Ulster bank reducing their rates again effective from 2 Aug 2010

Pathway and eSavings plus rates shall be coming down from the 2 Aug 2010

[broken link removed]

Hello,

Looking for some advise (or how to calculate for myself). I have the old regular saving account, as far as I'm aware it is still paying 3%. In this account I have over 10k and I add to it every week.

My questions is would I be better to keep saving to this account as all my money is earning 3% or should I stop saving into this account and open the new 4% regular saving account with either EBS or UB? And how can I calculate at what rate it would become better to open the new account?

Thanks,
WM

Last edited:
Yes, the legacy regular saver account is still paying 3%. However, this is very likely to decline to 0.01% over the coming months.

I suggest you do the following:
Stop saving into this account and close it. Wire the lump sum to a Nationwide UK account which pays 3.3%. Then open an EBS account at 4% and save for one year only into this account.

the EBS rate of 4% is fixed for the 12 months of regular saving...its a no brainer as far as I can see

Is it possible to close this account without dropping into your branch? (I really wish they would open on Saturdays:()

Mid-Oct now and rate still appears to be [broken link removed], which isn't too bad if you have a nice bit built up in the account.

After all, it's better to be getting 3% on a larger balance than having to start again from scratch on the 4% rate.

Nearly a full year since the rate was reduced and still [broken link removed]

Quite surprised but happy it hasn't been reduced further. I received c. 150euro in interest after DIRT for the last quarter.

Bumping this because I spotted an ad on tv the other day which said UB are paying 3% on balance up to 15K, 1.5% on balance.

Assume they referred to their special interest deposit account.

I even rewinded the ad to confirm it said 3%, not 4% as it was (as still claims to be on UB's website). Confusing!

Anyone else spot that ad?

The old regular saver account is still paying 3% on balances up to 100K btw. Glad I've stuck with it!

Bumping this because I spotted an ad on tv the other day which said UB are paying 3% on balance up to 15K, 1.5% on balance.

Assume they referred to their special interest deposit account.

I even rewinded the ad to confirm it said 3%, not 4% as it was (as still claims to be on UB's website). Confusing!

Anyone else spot that ad?

Think I can answer my own query here. Their sterling account pays 3%...

web page as follows
[broken link removed]

no mention on that page of any interest rate change so i think its still 3%

Just got a phone call from my UB branch in Cork.

Regular Saver to go down from 3% to 2.75% next month.

Still not bad if you have a nice bit built up by now. Max 100K balance allowed. I got 200euro interest last Qtr after DIRT.

Their website still shows it at 3. Strange that they rang you to tell you about a reduction. Normally they try to hide the fact about reductions so that you dont decide to move your money/account

Back