Best option for heating rooms in old house?

bobjim

Hi,
Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how best to provide heating in rooms of an old house which does not currently have any heating. My mother's house has recently had the windows/doors replaced and has been cleaned up/redecorated (had become quite rundown) but we're not sure what kind of heating would be best for the rooms, particularly the bedrooms.

Since we would like some kind of timer control and pretty instant heat, I presume electric heating is the only feasible option? Gas heaters might not be suitable for bedrooms, plus they have to be manually turned on/off?

I see lots of different kinds of electric heaters are available, are some better than others? Any particular recommendations would be welcome.

Installing central heating is not an option, BTW.

thanks,
Bobjim

Electric heaters might work but are really expensive to run - and more efficient ones are expensive to buy as well.
Also you'd need to make sure that the electrical installation is capable of providing the necessary power. You might end up running new lines, bringing the breakers up to scratch, etc.

I'd strongly recommend looking at the central heating option!
Running pipes and hanging rads does not necessarily have to be very invasive, so I'd re-consider the "not an option".

I'd also ensure that any attic insulation has been addressed. You say that the windows and doors have been replaced, but has the attic insulation (if there was any) been upgraded to current building levels or above(min 300mm, laid between joists and across joists)?

There's no point in providing heat if all you are doing is creating a cozy attic for the mice :)

Hi,
Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how best to provide heating in rooms of an old house which does not currently have any heating. My mother's house has recently had the windows/doors replaced and has been cleaned up/redecorated (had become quite rundown) but we're not sure what kind of heating would be best for the rooms, particularly the bedrooms.

Since we would like some kind of timer control and pretty instant heat, I presume electric heating is the only feasible option? Gas heaters might not be suitable for bedrooms, plus they have to be manually turned on/off?

I see lots of different kinds of electric heaters are available, are some better than others? Any particular recommendations would be welcome.

Installing central heating is not an option, BTW.

thanks,
Bobjim
what's the budget?
ideally you change the windows/doors and at the same time insulate the buildings envelope.
then you provide heating and suitable ventilation.

depending on the layout dont rule out rads run of a gas/oil boiler etc

if you do go down the electric route, make sure you look at installing a nightsaver meter. That way you get cheaper electricity at nighttime when the heat is needed most in the bedrooms.

Thanks for all the replies.

I should clarify that installing central heating is not currently an option, due to financial constraints but it is something we hope to consider in the future. So I guess I'm looking for the best heating option for the next 3-4 months anyway.

If buying electric radiators/heaters, what should we be looking for? I see they tend to be rated as 'xxxx' kwh, so should we get the highest possible power? Are they all the same, or are certain brands better? For example. I see Aldi currently have 3 different types on offer: an oil-filled radiator, an oscillating fan and a wall panel heater. Would one of these types be more efficient than the others?

The point about insulation is well taken, we will definitely try to get the attic insulated asap. The Nightsaver electricity point is also useful.

Thanks again,
Bobjim

best heating option for the next 3-4 months anyway.
I see Aldi currently have 3 different types on offer: an oil-filled radiator, an oscillating fan and a wall panel heater.
Plug in heaters so is what you require for now just to get you over this winter, and hopefully be able to fit some sort of central heating then.

Basically whatever type you go for, they will all use the same amount of kw of electric per hour.

Choice is up to you, depending on your preference, but make sure they all have a thermostat, which means they will cut out when the set temp is reached and cut in again when temp drops, so not running all the time.

Some have a timer which might be useful if you don't want to be constantly manually adjusting them.

They say we won't get a really cold winter this year, and so far that seems likely.

Back