going to ikea this weekend

Yes.
Brilliant.
Also overwhelming.
There is too much stuff to see in one visit, it is helpful to have a 'plan' for what you want to look at.
Lots of the products look better than on the website.
Good for shelving/bookshelves/storage cabinets/kitchenware/textiles.(and lots of other stuff)
You need to have measurements for everything with you.
Make sure whatever you buy will fit into your car: check to see if the back seats go down before you set off, for fitting long stuff in the car
AA route-planner directions awful, don't use them, lots of roadworks into Belfast coming from the South.
Good luck!
Nicola

I'd do the following:- spend a lot of time on their website checking it out, when you get there pick up a catalogue and spend some time over a coffee checking it out (the website and the catalogue are not the same, there's lots more in the catalogue). Go equipped with a notebook and tick off what you really want to see, it's impossible to see everything in one visit, or else use this first visit to check everything out and not necessarily buy anything! Beware the self service area, there are small items there which are such good value that it's almost impossible not to impulse buy. The check out area was chaotic when I was there, not enough check-outs open and all sorts of delays because cards weren't scanning properly, so allow time. I'd recommend their restaurant for lunch.

Its really well worth the visit. Went approx a month ago and have a second trip planned. Opens till 10pm but I ran out of time so missed out on garden supplies - fab bonsai and other plants for little or nothing. Sets of glasses available for £1.99 for 6 - I picked up a few wine sets as great for BBQ's etc (you dont mind so much if they break!). They also have fab kitchen gadgets too. Restaurant is just above entrance so it was really good advice from other poster to pick up catalogue and have a look through over a coffee.

Their delivery costs can be a tad high. The next time I go I'll be renting a car with fold down seats for the day, I think it works out at e50.

in addition to all of the above advice, wear comfortable shoes!! :)

you may want to bring some sterling cash for the restaurant - Ikea don't currently take Euros & charge a Credit Card fee of 70p, though not sure they applied this in the restaurant. Read the map of the shop too - at one point I thought I'd never get out!

Shop is split over 2 levels - upper floor has mock-ups of rooms, furniture & some household bits; lower floor has crockery, lamps & bits & pieces like that.

If there is room in the car, you might want to check out Sainsbury's & B&Q too which are beside Ikea.

I went today and was extremely impressed. Layout was great, brilliant to see the stuff in real life and with co-ordinating furniture. It was very easy to get around and even though it was Saturday it wasnt too busy. The quality of the furniture was so much better than i expected, and the variety is unbelievable. Bought a few things but have another trip planned to get some more.
Loved it!

I was hoping to make it and get a few Sale bargains but probably just as well I didn't go as I seem to get carried away. I think their stuff looks nicer in the store than in the catalogue.

When is Dublin going to get an IKEA store ? Last year I heard about it all the time but nowadays I am hearing nothing.

Ballymun Regeneration are saying Feb 09. I think that they're going to get around the M50 requirement by saying that once the Ballymun exit is ungraded it'll go ahead. The place is currently built (well on the outside anyway) and they've been advertising for staff already.

(sorry just read the Indo report after posting this)

Last edited:
Back