Jobseeker Allowance and working child.

VioletWex

Hi,

I'm getting Jobseeker Allowance. My 16 years old son is going to work (only for 2 months, during his summer holidays) and I have no idea should I report this in my Social Welfare office?

Thanks.

Hi,

I'm getting Jobseeker Allowance. My 16 years old son is going to work (only for 2 months, during his summer holidays) and I have no idea should I report this in my Social Welfare office?

Thanks.

On the assumption that you are claiming JSA for junior as a "Qualified Child", have a look at this extract from the Citizens Information website. The bit that I have bolded seems to answer your question.

RULES

"To get an Increase for a Qualified Child (IQC), your child must:

Be resident in the State
Not be in legal custody
Satisfy the age condition for that payment
Live with you

You do not get an IQC if your child is getting a social welfare payment or Supplementary Welfare Allowance in their own right (with the exception of Disablement Benefit). However if you are getting an IQC during the summer holiday period between academic years and your child becomes entitled to a social welfare payment in their own right you will continue to get the IQC and your child's payment is reduced by the amount of the IQC.

Your child does not have to be financially dependent on you. Your child can work and earn money and this does not affect the increase paid to you."

Source

Back