New legislation re car off the road

Paddylast

Hi,
My daughter emigrated in March leaving her car here to be sold - eventually. It is now off the road since her departure and the tax has now run out. Anyone know what the situation is. I know she needs to contact the motor tax office to inform them but if I sell the car on her behalf in the next few months, who is responsible for past tax?

Extract from Citizens Information Website:

From 1 July 2013 there is a new procedure for declaring a vehicle is off the road so that you do not have to pay motor tax for that period. Previously you needed a Garda to witness your signature to the statement on Form RF100A (pdf) or RF111 (pdf) that your vehicle had not been in use in a public place when renewing your motor tax. Under the new system you are required to declare in advance that your vehicle will be off the road for a period of between 3 and 12 months using Form RF150 (pdf).
There is a three-month transition period from 1 July to 30 September 2013 during which those in arrears must pay the arrears and either renew their motor tax or make a declaration of non-use. If your vehicle has not been on the road you must make a declaration of non-use for that period using Form RF100A or RF111 as described above, and either pay your motor tax or make a declaration of non-use under the new system.
From 1 October 2013 the declaration of non-use must be made in the month of expiry of your current motor tax disc. If arrears in motor tax are due, these must be paid in full and motor tax paid for a minimum of 3 months before a declaration of non-use can be made. Further information on the procedure for declaring a vehicle will be off the road is available on the Department of Environment, Community and Local Government website

Good idea to ensure no scaming the system but why not make the declaration as part of the tax renewal notice rather than creating extra forms?
Oh I forgot, that would be common sense and efficient. Why oh why cant we learn from other jurisdictions?

Back