Adamstown Co. Dublin

NALCED

Hi
I'm looking for peoples opinions / views on this development. I've read all the brochures and plan to visit sometime next week.

I'm wondering how the initial phases went and if the builders will actually follow through with the amenities that are planned ie town centre

Certainly from passing it on the train it looks like they are building the town centre at the moment.

The Property Pin website should be visited as well for opinions on this place. From what I believe, it's like a ghost town

I know someone who bought a year or so ago, and is now looking to get out of the contract and is looking to forego their deposit and walk away if possible. I believe there are issues with parking, house prices dropping, finish to houses(some people had a large column(for want of a better word) blocking their window.

Parts of it to date are built by Castlethorn and parts by Maplewood. I have no experience of Castlethorn but my house in Lucan was built by Maplewood and the finish was so poor (having said that I bought in 2000, so they could have gotten away with anything).

I do think there are certain legal documents in place that will mean the facilities will have to be finished which is good but it has to be questioned if there is need for the remainder of the houses to be finished given the current economic climate.

Also familiarize yourself with the plans from the Council, I understand there are two or three halting sites to be built within Adamstown, just so you know they are there.

My friend was speaking to some people there who love it and others not so happy.

There's no harm in visiting the place. While takeup in the initial phases seems good, the downturn has definitely hit later phases.

As regards infrastructure, you can view the council website (www.adamstown.ie) which has the details of the SDZ legislation which governs the development.

So far all infrastructure has been put in place: train station,bus route, 2 primary schools, one secondary under construction, community centre with swimming pool under construction, first local shops due to open later this year (although local supermarkets are 5mins away anyway) and the council is due to give a decision on the town centre in the next week. It will be interesting to see how the builders react once given permission for the town centre given the current climate.

The developers are restricted by how many units they can build without having the infrastructure in place, but there's no restrictions on just not building either. Good question to put to agent.

Not necessarily a problem if you are aware of this going in, and what exactly it is (ie halting sites or housing) but apparently they were initially quite difficult to make out on the draft plan.

Given that it is a buyers market now, I would be concerned that location right next to a traveller site would put people off buying, and devalue your investment. However, I would not let it put me off the area overall, it is a huge area and it might not even effect you, just make sure you can see where they are going to be located and the numbers involved before you make any decision.

I looked there when I was looking around in September of last year and my personal preference is I wouldn't buy there.

The houses don't seem to be finished very well, it seemed like a ghost town and the houses were very close together with not much space between them.

While it's all well and good having the train station it did seem very far away from most parts of Adamstown and the park and ride there is something like 4 euro a day.

What you have to remember as well is that Adamstown will be a building site for the next few years and that if the plans are followed there is going to be an enormous amount of people living living there by 2016.

I think in today's market there is better value to be had elsewhere.

Parts of it to date are built by Castlethorn and parts by Maplewood. I have no experience of Castlethorn but my house in Lucan was built by Maplewood and the finish was so poor (having said that I bought in 2000, so they could have gotten away with anything).
Castlethorn have a very good reputation afaik within the industry.

I was checking out the asking prices and they haven't changed since the phase launch a year ago. With prices dropping everywhere, i would assume the same would apply to this development?

I do think there are certain legal documents in place that will mean the facilities will have to be finished which is good but it has to be questioned if there is need for the remainder of the houses to be finished given the current economic climate.

NALCED - I would be very wary of buying here based on the idea that it will be great when it's finished. Another current thread is discussing the fact that developers regularly leave projects unfinished and that there seems to be no government will to force them to fulfill their obligations.

Also - of course the prices should be down from last years prices

I've heard that they are planning to stop future development as they are not selling what is already built. Presumably if they stop building they will not have to provide the infrastrucure that PP was dependant upon

**this may not bu true but I'd do some investigating before buying

I see that planning permission for the new town centre has been granted.
The question now is, when will it be built? I think the success of the development depends on it.

Castlethorn seems to have made hefty discounts on properties in Adamstown and some of its other developments.

Back