The Crescent, Earlswood, Ashtown

The area isn't bad really, there are definitely issues with regards to:
  • The dirt biking all day long most weekends.
  • The break-ins and damage to the cars
  • The trains - packed solid by the time they reach ashtown
  • The management fees are apparently a bit ott - maybe the residents can fill in more on that.
  • Schools will turn out to be an issue for those who have no choice but to try and bring up children in unsuitable accommodation.
  • Worst problem is the ridiculous situation whereby the developers who stand to rake in approx. a billion between them were not forced to provide an under or overpass to the train track. This means that you can be unlucky and sit for 30 mins, just trying to get in or out of the development - it's what we expect I suppose when govt. decisions based on what their acquaintances in the property business tell them, but still....
Good points:
  • Location isn't too bad, bar proximity to Dunsink, Cabra West and Finglas (including riot hit areas yesterday). It's also close to the Navan road, M50, airport, all roads north, Blanchardstown SC.
  • Facilities have improved significantly, creche, gym, supermarket, convenience store, takeway, bookies..... all there.
  • Residents are friendly and there doesn't appear to be any anti-social behaviour emanating from them (at least I have never heard of any).
In summation, there are definitely worse places to be living and apartments are reasonably well situated and serviced, however imo, they're still way overpriced and given how the market is likely to go, I'd rent one of them, but certainly wouldn't buy.

I'm a bit confused about which bits are which. Are the blocks near Superquinn called Rathborne and the rest of it Earlswood? Or is it all called Rathborne? I'm not entirely clear. I'm interested in The Tallow or The Waxworks.

the superquinn blocks are 'the village', the bits facing down onto river road are called 'rathborne' earlswood is generally the parts of the development to the right (facing onto river road) and closer to royal canal park - the same developers built 'the village' and 'rathorne' and I suspect they may be the better buys, earlswood seems to have had more problems, but I don't really know.

Thank you. That clarifies it a bit.

The Superquinn block, The Tallow and The Waxworks are called The Village.

Does the whole area have a name? Is it Ashtown or Rathborne? Also, I take it that it's all Dublin 15.

From what I can gather, the whole site from the Ratoath Road up to the Ashtown Road is split into "Royal Canal Park" and "Rathborne".

THe first phase of Rathborne, as a previous poster said, are the blocks facing the River Road, as well as 2 'squares' of houses off Rathborne Avenue, and the 'River Centre' Spar shop and gym building. THis was built by Castlethorn.
The second phase was 'The Village', which is the 3 blocks at the west end of the site which include Superquinn, pharmacy etc. Those three blocks were named 'The Tallow', 'The Chandler' and 'The Waxworks'. These were built by John Paul, but my understanding is that they subcontracted the build from Castlethorn.
The third phase was Earlswood, which are the apartments around the crescent park and the blocks immediately behind them, as well as several larger 3 story houses. A block of social housing was built at the same time. All this was built by Capel Developments.

The area is definitely in Dublin 15- the post is sorted in Coolmine and all the Dublin City Council blue streetsigns have '15' on them (although I dont know how the developer managed to swing that :) )

Hope that clears things up a bit.

Last edited:
I think some of royal canal park may be dublin 7, which the whole development should be - why the developers lobbied to get it changed to d15 is more than I know.

Hi,

I moved into one of the 4 finished blocks and so far so good.
We did have some problems with the TV, but my mate works for SMART and he explained the problems. They had someone out last Thursday and things seem loads and loads better.

With regards to the anti-social behaviour, I haven't seen it yet, but had heard about horses.

I have met a few of the people in my block and some are pretty friendly.

I was impressed by the quality of the finish and the snagger had very little to do.

Shane

Hi Shane,

Just saw your post. I'm seriously considering buying one of the Ground Floor Apts in one of the four finished blocks of The Crescent costing EUR335k.
How are you finding the place? I viewed it last Saturday and thought the apartments were magnificant. Couldn't see any traces of horses or motor bike scramblers?!?!
Have you had any problems with the car park?

Many thanks,

Seán

Hi Shane,

Just saw your post. I'm seriously considering buying one of the Ground Floor Apts in one of the four finished blocks of The Crescent costing EUR335k.
How are you finding the place? I viewed it last Saturday and thought the apartments were magnificant. Couldn't see any traces of horses or motor bike scramblers?!?!
Have you had any problems with the car park?

Many thanks,

Seán

Sean,

my girlfriend moved in last weekend. Loves it so far. The council seized all the horses last week (although a few seem to be back) and are in the process of blocking access to the field for scramblers. The field they use mostly is a good bit away from the cresent although you do see them on the streets around rathborne in odd time. only issue is the sound proofing isnt wonderful and the appliances in the kitchen are on the cheap side. the major problems with car breakins seem to have stopped for the most part around rathborne.

is it just ground floor apartments left?

the major problems with car breakins seem to have stopped for the most part around rathborne.

Saturday night/Sunday morning a small green Corsa had it's door forced open and efforts were made to steal it, despite the fact it had a steering lock on it. They didn't manage to take it, but damaged the door obviously and broke the steering column too. Owner couldn't seem to start it yesterday evening either. Pretty much what happened to my girlfriend's old car.

A couple of weeks ago another car had it's passenger side window smashed. It wa sa newer car so I'd assume it was to steal from the car rather than take the car itself.

Both of these incidents actually took place on the road that separates The Crescent from Pelletstown Manor, leading down from the park.

If this sort of thing would concern you I'd recommend contacting the local Garda station and asking what the true extent of break ins are, as I've heard some scary figures mentioned. Older cars without immobilisers are a real target.

I'm living in River Vale since it opened and obviously have had some of those problems as well, most annoying ones are the gates to the car park breaking down a lot and my car was also broken into a couple of years ago. But apart from that all in all i'd have to say its a great area and would highly recommend it.....major pluses being proximity to train, buses, Phoenix Park, M50, and all the shops. I'd say the problems are common to all developments so personally i'm happy enough there. As tjhe brochure said, "Country livin' - city life"...!!

Hi all,

I'm on the second snag this week, and moving in hopefully in early August. Looking forward to it, and meeting you all.

Hi
I recently bought in The Crescent and of course was only told about the problem with the television provider at the very end !! However I rang the management company and was told that they are turning a blind eye to people putting up small salelite dishes, from sky lets say, as there are such problems with Smart. NTL will not be coming in as legally they arent allowed to lay cables as Smart are there first (or something like that) However Sky are digital so it gets round that. They are trying to get Sky in and have one dish for each building, thus getting rid of each apt having a dish outside. However that could take months. We should be moving in, in the next few weeks and I'm going to go ahead and contact Sky.
Two of my cousins bought in the area and havent experiened any problems with theft etc and are happy living there, both young females so fingers crossed!

Back