Procedure for Wall Papering

burger1979

Hi folks,

Was wondering if ye could help me. We are doing up the living room (painted) and left the 2 walls either side of the fire place to be wall papered. Now i have never ever done wall papering before neither has my wife. So how do you do it? The walls are just painted plaster at the moment. There is no previous wall paper to peel off. We have bought the wall paper already (flower pattern, dont know if it has lining on it). I suggested that we should get a decorater to do it for us as we have never done it before. But i was shot down. So how do you go about wall papering? i have bough the adhesive and the wall paper brush to apply it to the wall. also bought a brush to apply the adhesive to the back of the wall paper. And to make things difficult there are sockets, TV points, vents etc etc to get around too.

thanks in advance.

burger1979

Step one. Get someone else to do it.

Wall papering looks easy, but it's not. I attempted it once on a small section of wall and ended up with bubbles.
This is going to be in your living room, so do you really want to be looking at a bodge job all the time?

Labour prices have really come down recently, so you might as well make the most of one of the few advantages of the recession.

We have bought the wall paper already (flower pattern) ... I suggested ... But i was shot down.
Your wife clearly has everything else under control, so why doesn't she do the job herself? ;)

No, seriously though — I agree with leghorn. It's a lot trickier than it looks, and the living room is not the place to try your hand for the first time. A small job like that won't cost a lot.

Def get a professional. I promise if you don't you will end up with a bunch of expensive wall paper in a big damp wad on the floor, tears and possible screaming. Trust.

Definitely get a pro to do this. Painting a room is one thing but wallpapering has to be done right as if its not its going to spoil the entire look of your room. I'm sure now there are plenty out there who would be glad of a bit of work. But make sure you get someone reliable or maybe ask other family or friends if they know of anyone reliable to do this.

Your wife clearly has everything else under control, so why doesn't she do the job herself? ;)

quote]

i would suggest that but i value my life:D:D i said from the start that we should get someone in to do it but all i got was 'no way'. we have come to a compromise (that all important word in marriage) we are going to try and do it ourselves and then when it all turns out crappy we will get some one in to do it and i will be proven right and have gloating rights for a while in the house!!!! the wall paper was not that expensive so we are not throwing away money.

thanks for the replies

burger

Well my wife got the wall paper up and in fairness it turned out ok. there are some areas where when we went to trim it to the skirting that the paper ripped a little bit off the end and didnt form a straight line. but the areas are behind a book case so its no biggie. We got 2 rolls but ran out of paper and we only have one little strip to do. we wasted a bit trying to get the pattern to match up and that cost us. then a few of my wifes friends called over on sat night, and on piped up that the wall paper was hanging upside down!!!!! which, it was. its a flower pattern and the all the flowers were drooping down instead of up!!!! the friend works as an optician :rolleyes:

but we are still going to leave it up and see if anyone else notices. for a first attempt its not bad.

burger

Back