house survey found a few issues

jillyb

Hi there,

We’re buying a house and we just had the engineer do a survey. He found a few things that need to be fixed etc within next 6 months. For example the boiler didn’t have a service history that he could see and it has nearing the end of its life so we’d need to get a new one soon.

He found a few other things also that we’re going to add up the cost to get an idea before saying it to the estate agent.

Can anyone tell me how this usually goes? Would they consider fixing some of this things for us or give a reduction on the sale price of the house?

Thanks

They won't give you a reduction, but you may want to consider reducing your offer to account for the cost of the work needed.

In reality in todays market, unless you are in an area where the uplift has not taken hold yet, you are unlikely to succeed with that.

Absolutely no to them fixing themselves. You reduce your offer price to reflect the repairs needed, unless it was already built into the price.

Thanks for the replies.

Ya we weren't sure how it works. I have spoken to a few people & they have said that the surveyor can be a bit OTT to cover their own ass

Few other structural things that will need repairing etc so no harm finding out cost of these and revising offer based on that. As could be a few grands work needed!

We’re buying a house and we just had the engineer do a survey. He found a few things that need to be fixed etc within next 6 months. For example the boiler didn’t have a service history that he could see and it has nearing the end of its life so we’d need to get a new one soon.

The idea of the survey is to identify any serious issues, every second-hand house is going to have things that need repair or replacement.

I think it is unreasonable to try and renegotiate the price at this stage over the issues you mention, fair enough if a serious structural issue was identified.

As you have not yet signed contracts you can look for a reduction and pull out if you don’t get it, but bear in mind so can the seller.

If I was the seller in this situation I would be telling the agent to continue to actively market the property and would only consider your reduced offer if there were no other interested parties, which might be unlikely in the current rising market.

Back