Can a Fás Safepass course be cancelled on the morning?

dcity91

I have no work today.

My boss told me to get a Safepass course sorted out , I was enrolled on two courses, saturday 18th and 25th. On the 17th, I got a call to say the course for the 18th was changed to the 25th. I was siting down in the room last Saturday, and after a while a guy said the course was cancelled. He said a few people did not come, and he was going home. I paid them €100, I was there for an hour, I did get my money back. But what about my job, I needed it for today to work on a new site. Some of the guys that were there were not happy.

Can this company do this to me?
Should I report them to Fás?
Can I sue?
I intend to try to get this on to Joe Duffy.
Where can I get a course?

Couple of issues to sort out first:

1. Do you work for contractor or agency?

2. How much notice did you have that you needed the SP course?

The ultimate point is that no, you can't sue the training provider. Cancellations happen, if it is essential to your job, then it should have been organised more in advance.

Depending on the answers to 1 & 2, there may be some element of compromise with the "boss", but if you're an agency worker and either didn't have or didn't renew your SP in good time, then ultimately you will have no complaint, recourse or need to phone Joe Duffy.

I work for a contractor.
I got 2 weeks notice to get a safepass,
it had to be saturday or sunday, as the employer would not pay me while i was there.

I thought it very strange that I was in the room, had a form filled in, paid the firm, gave them photos, and was told later the course was cancelled.

It is FAS rules that there is a minimum of 8 people in a safepass course, any less than this and the course can't go ahead. The provider was falling the rules. If 8 people didn't show up, they can't go ahead, it happens. If they did go ahead, FAS wouldn't process the application, so theres no point.

If you google safepass or go on to the FAS website there are lots of providers however, with the down turn in the construction industry it is hard to fill the courses, hense they can be cancelled.

What you can do is ask your provider to put your name down for the next available course, and no safepass happens on a sunday. As far as I can see you would have no grounds to sue.

I work for a contractor.
I got 2 weeks notice to get a safepass,
it had to be saturday or sunday, as the employer would not pay me while i was there.

I thought it very strange that I was in the room, had a form filled in, paid the firm, gave them photos, and was told later the course was cancelled.

As birdy says there is a minimum number for attending.

Do you work full time for the contractor or just started? Next silly question, is this your first time on a construction site or is this a renewal of existing SP?

I had a safepass card, but it has expired, apparently it was only valid for 4 years. I dont mind having to renew it, as that could help to remind me of things.

Why must there be 8 on a course?
Who came up with this rule?

Do Fas know people are out of work and need this course to get work.
Looks like I will be on social welfare for a while because of this rule. There were others there on the day who needed it for work today as well.

Can the Unions do anything about this crazy rule?

I had a safepass card, but it has expired, apparently it was only valid for 4 years. I dont mind having to renew it, as that could help to remind me of things.

Why must there be 8 on a course?
Who came up with this rule?

Do Fas know people are out of work and need this course to get work.
Looks like I will be on social welfare for a while because of this rule. There were others there on the day who needed it for work today as well.

Can the Unions do anything about this crazy rule?

You're paying €100 for the course, there are costs associated with running a session and so all training courses have a minimum number to make them economic to run.

You had a card in your possession that clearly stated when it would expire. Your job relies on you entering a construction site therefore you had plenty of notice it was due. it was left very late for you to renew your SP, that's not the training provider's fault.

There is a potential issue if you are directly employed by the contractor and not subbing or a casual contract. In that case there is are requirements that training is paid time off and they should have organised the renewal sooner. If that is the case it could possibly be unfair that you are not able to work due to that error, as a minimum you should not have to have paid if you are a direct employee.

There

The course might be less likely to be cancelled if planned for a week day - given you can't work now, you should check out if this would be a better option

all training courses have a minimum number to make them economic to run.

As far as I know there was 7 people there. if it was cancelled for money reasons, I am sure the 7 of us would have paid an extra 15 euro, and that would cover the lost money.

What Minister deals with this? This is something that perhaps the media should hear about.

The course might be less likely to be cancelled if planned for a week day - given you can't work now, you should check out if this would be a better option

That is a good idea. Now that I am unemployed I have been told Fas might pay for it. Does anyone know if this correct?

As far as I know there was 7 people there. if it was cancelled for money reasons, I am sure the 7 of us would have paid an extra 15 euro, and that would cover the lost money.

What Minister deals with this? This is something that perhaps the media should hear about.

I'm sure both the Minister and the media will drop everything to deal with your complaint about a business complying with the standards set by the competent authority for this training. Don't forget to tell them the training provider didn't even offer to take a bribe in order to ignore these rules and provide you with an invalid certificate.

You're picking the wrong fight if you are in full time employment you could have a strong case against the employer (or if considered an employee not a contractor yourself). If not, then you either let expire or didn't attain the required training before working. If it us the latter, then the only person to complain to about your current circumstances is yourself.

If it is the former, then as I say your complaint is with your employer.

Sorry to be so blunt, but it is not the training provider's fault this was arranged so late.

Still confused why there must be 8 on this course, what is special about 8. I dont understand what you mean about bribe, if the trainer wanted 8 on the course to justify costs, I am sure everyone would have paid the money he was loosing. If it was that 8 people must take part , I could have got my wife, my son or my next door neighbour to take part in it.

Putting it very simply I am now out of work because of this course being cancelled two times. It appears the course was called off last Saturday because some did not show up. Would a football match be called off if one player failed to show up?

What has 8 to do with standards?

You're deflecting the problem. How long did you know you needed a safe pass for and how many of the tens of training providers did you check out?

As to the limits on numbers, that's part of the standards for being approved to run a course. It's there for several reasons but the main one was representation from the training provider in that the fee for the course is low and to make it economical to organise, Market, hold, administer and deliver a course there has to be a minimum number.

Not saying I agree with it, but that's what they now have to operate to.

As I have said numerous times, if you are under a contract of employment you have a genuine case for your current situation. If you are considered self employed, then ultimately you didn't make sure you had the right certification in time. Again to be blunt, if it is the latter, it is your own fault.

In order to discuss whether you have a case against anyone, you need to stop avoiding the issue and answer the question of if you were under a contract of employment.

First I heard about this was on the week that the first course was cancelled. I booked onto the course which was to be run on sat 17th, i was contacted on Friday to say it was being changed to the 25th, so i went to that course. As stated earlier I was in the venue, had filled in the forms,(actually I still have the form) and after a while told the course was cancelled. There was no reason for me to contact any other training firm.

€100 is expensive, it is a nice bit out of my wages. .It is more that half of what I will now get on Job seekers benefit
If a trainer considers 7 X 100 not enough money, they must be living the high life.

Not sure what you mean by a contract of employment. I am working with this guy for 3 years, but i have no contract or anything.

so all training courses have a minimum number to make them economic to run.

This is irrelvent in the case of Safepass, FAS rules state you need 8 and that's the rule, obviously for the provider the more they have the better but under 8 and the course can't go ahead.

To be honest the demand for safepass is very low at the moment, and it is private operators that run the course not FAS, they process the cards, so its actually very little to do the course.

if you are working in the construction industry, it would be common knowledge to ( well in my company anyway) to get your safepass renewed at least 3 months before its due to expire not the day before.

You will have a better chance of getting a course on weekday also, much better chance of being full

Not sure what you mean by a contract of employment. I am working with this guy for 3 years, but i have no contract or anything.
Are you an employee or a contractor? Do you look after your own tax, or does he deduct PAYE for you?

Its Fas rules, used be min 10 and max 20, reduced to 8 at last review. Its a ridiculous rule , if a client wants one person trained and is willing to pay for it so be it. They( FAS) talk about the exercises needing a min number and the class dynamics be wrong with small numbers, tosh!
The whole safepass program is and has been poorly thought out for years. Trapping active working people in a classroom for 8 hours min, the retention of most people has drifted before the 10 o clock tea. When employers paid for it that was often a huge part of their H&S budget for the year, little or no consideration in the past to poor writing skills, deafness, overseas workers.
In its early days, a grant was available to pay for the training, the 5 or 6 big contractors hovered up most of the grant aid in the first few months. I used accept a voucher for the unemployed issued by their welfare officer to help them get back to work, and indeed often accepted an unemployed candidate on a pay when you get work basis ( some did many did not) Then there is the 12-16 week wait for cards, pritned in an other EU state rather than here( EU rules blamed)

An yes I was a Safe pass tutor, but haven't run a course in 5 years , and yes I did very well out of it in the boom times, but note I gave it up before the boom burst, it was soul destroying.
Thank God for the break up of FAS, and may the Safe Pass unit ( other then the pleasant enough junior admins) be broke up and scattered to the four corners of builders hell.

phew that feels good.

PS original poster, look at back to work/ SW/Fas officer /etc for grant assistance, use a local mid week provider if unemployed, and if its 100 euro or less bring your own sandwich's.

Thanks everyone, yes the employer deducted Paye and tax from me, at least I can now get Jobseekers benefit. Delighted to hear the response from the Safe pass tutor. Many thanks everyone.

Thanks everyone, yes the employer deducted Paye and tax from me, at least I can now get Jobseekers benefit. Delighted to hear the response from the Safe pass tutor. Many thanks everyone.

In that case you may have a case for penalisation if you wished to pursue such a case against your employer.

It is their duty to train you.
They must pay for the training.
You have lost pay/your job as a result.

Back