Keeping some money back from Deposit

Don_08

Would always prefer to pay a deposit back in full, but this tenant has cost us a bit of money. Just wondering are these legimate deductions

1. Replacement cost of an outdoor table and chairs ( they are totally destroyed and unusable , must not have been put into shed during bad storms)

2. The tenant handed in notice to leave end of July, then changed their mind to leave 12th July and asked could they only pay until then. We agreed as agent had found new tenants that would move in on 20th July. However, they hired so one to clean the place which was only finished on 18th July so we could only get in painter etc this week and new tenant cannot move in until a week later.

Am ignoring the burn marks on kitchen floor and table and various other little things.

The cost of another weeks rent is over 200 euro, but considering just reducing rent by 200 for table and chairs ( 500 new), and 150 for the extra week.

Am I being reasonable?

Item 1 is fully deductable from the deposit. I would have thought at it's value when the house was let, not as new. In any case when you buy again you will be able to write it off as W&T.

Item 2, rent, don't fully understand what is going on there. And that's where most landlords get things wrong.

The cleaning cost, I guess you were going to do this anyway, and it's tax deductable so why charge the tenant, another landlord might disagree with me.

Actually if it were me I'd just hand the deposit back and let that be the end of it. It's only going to create bad blood for paltry amounts.

You're probably better off not providing the outside table and chairs from now on. One less item that can be destroyed. And tenants wonder why landlords try to put in the bare minimimum.

Back