Home extension re-mortgage

kkmaan

Recently purchased a house and looks like we might have to extend sooner rather than the originally planned later.
Looking for advice please:
1. Is it possible to re-mortgage to cover the cost of the extension? Extension will cost approx 60 to 70k.
2. Will I have to pay a deposit on the increased mortgage amount?
3. What way does the process work.

House is currently in neg equity by approx 30 to 40k due to transferring over neg equity from previous house.

Any other advice from someone who has been through the process is greatly appreciated.

No replies but probably not worded the best.
Basically all I need to know is it possible to remortgage to build an extension while in neg equity?
Has anyone been through the process?

I think it is highly unlikely. The bank would be increasing their exposure on your loan, there is no equity to lend on. The time to try this was when you were buying, too late now I now but at that stage you could have applied for a percentage of the new value with extension completed so your purchase price as such would be the actual purchase price plus cost of renovations. This is how this would normally be treated.

In an existing mortgage situation usually top up mortgages are limited to 80% of value of property, this was the case even in the good old days, as you are already well past that it doesn't leave you any scope. Unless there is some system in place with your lender to facilitate negative equity cases I don't see this being easy if even possible.

I would say your answer is no. Whilst some banks are allowing negative equity mortgages (in some cases only to their tracker customers) - I really cannot see them allowing customers to re-mortgage their existing negative equity property and hence push their loan to value ratio further on past the 100%, which is already above 100%.

Bank of Ireland are doing home improvement loans at 9.9% APR - might be worth looking at to see if that is an option?

Back