Car parked up for six months - now wish to export, tax?

Don_08

We emigrated a few months back and our car has been parked outside my mother's house in Donegal since June. Tax expired at same time.

We were going to sell but think now we might just bring it into the European country we are now living in.

Would have to drive to Dublin, ferry to England, across England and then ferry to Europe.

Would we really have to tax for three months for the three hour drive to Dublin?

would it be cheaper to get it shipped over to you ? I mean after petrol/diesel, ferry & tolls, travel time etc ?

maybe someone like shiply.com could give a quote - i've never used them - just popped out of google

It's a grey area for you, but although it makes common sense not to tax, it is illegal not only to drive without tax but also illegal not to display a valid disc. To be fair it would be almost impossible to legislate for your brief grey area need in the state. The correct course of action is to tax and then apply for a rebate when you re-register the car in your new country.
Not sure about driving across UK untaxed (I'd guess they would not bother with the paperwork, if there is such a common EU rule) but I'd guess not having a valid disc might draw attention to you at borders when you are really just going about your business innocently.
I'd check with a Garda station and then it's up to you if you want the risk, just know that the law is usually not grey.

Declare it off road for the time you were away and then slap 3 months tax on it to drive it across Europe. There is no rebate available from Ireland.

Driving across the UK with no tax is not advisable.

Thanks - its just another addition to the cost. Only an old car too.

Yes it's insured.

LOL!

You should see the inspection procedures in some countries. Does the car stop? Grand see you next year!

Back