Is it unwise to use the same Estate Agent for both purchase and sale?

michaelm

When a particular house type comes up for sale in the location I'm after I will try to buy it. I will be trading up and will have to sell my house first (priced realistically with a view to a quick cash sale). My current thinking is that I will ask the Estate Agent selling the house I want to also sell mine. I think that this could simplify and speed up the whole process, and may concentrate the mind of the EA who will sell two houses if they can sell mine. Would this course of action make sense or might it be unwise?

When a particular house type comes up for sale in the location I'm after I will try to buy it. I will be trading up and will have to sell my house first (priced realistically with a view to a quick cash sale). My current thinking is that I will ask the Estate Agent selling the house I want to also sell mine. I think that this could simplify and speed up the whole process, and may concentrate the mind of the EA who will sell two houses if they can sell mine. Would this course of action make sense or might it be unwise?

This is the approach we used a couple of years ago and it worked out fine for us. In fact, we were getting messed around from the people buying our house and the fact that the same estate agent was looking after both sale and buying for us helped smooth things over.
We had originally tried the other approach i.e went sale aggreed on our own house first but could not find anything we liked so had to take it off the market. Thats when we decide that we would not sell our own until we had a bid accpeted on another house and then use the same agent.

Back