estate agents fees

C

cm2

We are considering (trying to!) sell our house and are deciding on which estate agent to use. We have a preference for Savills. they are presently charging a fee of 1.5%. Wondering has anyone any experience of this agency, their fees, haggling for reduction or indeed any other fees charged by other agents?
Thanks
CM2

I am just starting selling process , was quoted 1.5%+advertising €320 by one and 1.8% + advertising of €500-by another (+vat on top) . Both are promising a quick sale , I am wondering how reliable their guide prices are ?
pjq

Try putting it in the buy and sell and keep the 1.5-1.8%

:)

ONQ

When I sold my apt in 2005I haggled and got the rate down to 1% including VAT. No idea whether it is different now given that houses are harder to sell but you have nothing to lose by trying. I just phoned them all and asked them if they could beat the best price I had at that stage.

You can haggle your %, and the advertising costs depend on exactly how much you want to spend. AD fees don't go to the EA they go on your property.

I wonder how much of the "advertising" is more of benefit to the estate agent than to the vendor?

Surely their fees should include advertising anyway - as no doubt they have special rates with the newspapers they use on a regular basis.

off topic a bit,but is it in australia where a couple of estate agents will compete to sell house and the one who sells it gets paid.why is not the same here?paying a percentage of sale price...LEGALISED ROBBERY....and as for solicitors/legal profession.....$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I wonder how much of the "advertising" is more of benefit to the estate agent than to the vendor?

Surely their fees should include advertising anyway - as no doubt they have special rates with the newspapers they use on a regular basis.

Yes the EA should get a better rate which is then passed on to client, it will be detailed in any invoice, so there is no profit in advertising. Why would an EA carry cost of advertising when the client can pull their business at any moment leaving EA with the bill?

off topic a bit,but is it in australia where a couple of estate agents will compete to sell house and the one who sells it gets paid.why is not the same here?paying a percentage of sale price...LEGALISED ROBBERY....and as for solicitors/legal profession.....$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
I don't see how it's any different here? How is an agreed fee robbery? Do they work for free in Australia?

Back