Can they lose their pension? Parents 80+

Manuka

I am seeking some advice for my parents, both in their 80’s and recipients of the non contributory pension ( my Father was self employed until he was 50)

They live in a large old house that needs repair and high maintenance.
They have a small site which somebody is interested in buying.
The site is part of their property.
If they sell the site, will they lose their pension?

Also,if they proceed, they will almost inevitably give me a small cash gift and I am in receipt of the non contributory widows pension. Will this effect same?

Thank you for your time.

It would depend on the sale price of the site. Anything under €40,000 would have nil effect on the pension (assuming they have no other savings). Over €40,000 would mean a reduction on a sliding scale.

If they decided to gift part of to you it doesn't change anything. They are still deemed to have received the money.

Sorry I can't give you any advice about their pensions and the sale of the property but you may also want to take a look at the rules of the [broken link removed] in case they get sick in the future and the sale would have a bearing on this.

The offer on the table is €100,000 but a lot would go on Capital Gains.
The site is my Mothers, as such. They share a marriage contract and a home but their relationship per se ended about thirty years ago. So it looks like everyone would be affected. Hardly seems worth it for roof/window repairs etc.

I am seeking some advice for my parents, both in their 80’s and recipients of the non contributory pension ( my Father was self employed until he was 50)
If he was employed for 10 years after 50, he should qualify for a contributory pension.

Can they lose their pension?

OP what did your father do between 50 and 65?

It appears he may not have enough PRSI to qualify for a full rate of pension (he was self employed until he was 50) so SW would have advised him that Non Con was a better option financially

Most Local Authorities have grants available to carry out repairs to private houses where people over 65 are living. It covers the upgrading of windows, doors, roof, etc. It is called a Housing Grant for Older People or something to that effect. You should contact your local County/City Council to find out more.

Back