Death penalty for very serious crimes?

Makes a change from the usual Saudi style justice where the female victim is often the one being convicted of "adultery"....

Massive +1 to that! But you'd better shut it. Don't you know that the Saudis are 'made' irrespective of what atrocities they choose to inflict on human beings within their borders?

Bit like the israelis but with pajamas on.

How did the Social Workers, neighbours, the local Gardai, Teachers, local Publican....how did none of them have an inkling what was going on.
This was serious serious crimes carried out over 18 years on 4 different people - surely people had to know something was not right. And it's not like it happened 40 or 50 years ago.
There's an awful lot more to be incovered here

A Guard friend of mine investigated a case a few years back where a man was sexually abusing his daughters. One of the victims told the guards that at least 2 different neighbours knew about the abuse. When interviewed one of the neighbours said 'that family was always a bit weird - sure the daughters were LETTING their father have sex with them'.

Massive +1 to that! But you'd better shut it. Don't you know that the Saudis are 'made' irrespective of what atrocities they choose to inflict on human beings within their borders?

Bit like the israelis but with pajamas on.

I don't understand either point you made there.

A Guard friend of mine investigated a case a few years back where a man was sexually abusing his daughters. One of the victims told the guards that at least 2 different neighbours knew about the abuse. When interviewed one of the neighbours said 'that family was always a bit weird - sure the daughters were LETTING their father have sex with them'.

No Garda should be revealing details of sensitive cases like this (or any cases, tbh) to their friends.

I'm not in favour of the death penalty but I think that life should be life and if it's too expensive, some way should be found for them to earn their keep.

The only real beneficiaries of having a death penalty are the lawyers who spend 20 years filing appeals.

The only real beneficiaries of having a death penalty are the lawyers who spend 20 years filing appeals.

Nice sweeping generalisation there, completely ignoring the fact that most of those on death row cannot afford to pay for a pencil, never mind a lawyer, and thus many appeals are handled pro bono.

Nice sweeping generalisation there, completely ignoring the fact that most of those on death row cannot afford to pay for a pencil, never mind a lawyer, and thus many appeals are handled pro bono.

Indeed. Once met a lawyer in the States who dealt with death penalty cases. He left a huge firm in Washington, didn't have two cents to his name but I have never heard anyone speak so passionately about their work before. Death Penalty cases are not money making cases in the US.

Indeed. Once met a lawyer in the States who dealt with death penalty cases. He left a huge firm in Washington, didn't have two cents to his name but I have never heard anyone speak so passionately about their work before. Death Penalty cases are not money making cases in the US.

I could understand this rationality if the lawyer honestly thought the prisoner was innocent, but if not, then there are more pertinent cases out there IMO (such as trying to help the victims for example). Having said that though, it is pro bono.

Based on the posts in this thread, I concede that the risk of executing someone who may be innocent is too great. In the case of someone who abuses children, I'd be happy to forego the death sentence if they spent the remaining part of their life in prison without parole or visitors.

I could understand this rationality if the lawyer honestly thought the prisoner was innocent, but if not, then there are more pertinent cases out there IMO (such as trying to help the victims for example). Having said that though, it is pro bono.

There are plenty of death row cases where the person is guilty but where there are circumstances that make the death penalty hard to stomach. The age of the person committing the crime, mental illness, intellectual disability, poor legal representation at original hearings, racial aspects to a case etc.

OK, it depends on the country, state and circumstance. In our case they'd be entitled to legal aid.

No Garda should be revealing details of sensitive cases like this (or any cases, tbh) to their friends.

Why not? He didnt reveal when it was, where it was, or who it was. It was a remark made in a conversation about why more people dont report it where they suspect a child is being abused. You know that Guards are human too and will talk about work with their friends sometimes?

Why not? He didnt reveal when it was, where it was, or who it was. It was a remark made in a conversation about why more people dont report it where they suspect a child is being abused. You know that Guards are human too and will talk about work with their friends sometimes?

Because it is a horrendous breach of confidentiality. How many cases involved a man abusing his daughters occured in the area that where that Garda was posted at the time of his posting? Probably one - or at best a very small number. It wouldn't take a genius to put together the Garda's leaked information with newspaper reports to work out who his comment relates to.

I well understand that Gardai or human. That does not make it OK for them to reveal specific details of cases that they were involved in to friends.

Because it is a horrendous breach of confidentiality. How many cases involved a man abusing his daughters occured in the area that where that Garda was posted at the time of his posting? Probably one - or at best a very small number. It wouldn't take a genius to put together the Garda's leaked information with newspaper reports to work out who his comment relates to.

How is it a 'horrendous breach of confidentiality'? You know exactly as much about it now as I do. I have no idea where it happened or when it happened. He has been posted all over in the country in a long career. If you wish to assign that level of paranoia to a comment that reveals nothing more than what you have read here - then that is your choice.

How is it a 'horrendous breach of confidentiality'? You know exactly as much about it now as I do. I have no idea where it happened or when it happened. He has been posted all over in the country in a long career. If you wish to assign that level of paranoia to a comment that reveals nothing more than what you have read here - then that is your choice.

Strange - you seemed to have a rough idea of the timing of the incident in your original post.

You've just answered your own question there.

So whats the rough idea? What does 'a few years back' mean exactly?

I would like to know what you are gleaning from my post that I am missing. Because to my mind, a few years could mean 2 years, 5 years, 7 years, 10 years or more. The term 'a few' is deliberately vague. I am still none the wiser to the timing of the incident based on the words 'a few years back' and Id like to know what you are getting from those words that I am not and how they constitute a 'horrendous breach of confidentiality' or 'leaked information'.

Because as far as I can see 'a few years back during a sex abuse case a person said this' gives no more information than 'a few years back during a sex abuse case a person said this'. I dont know who the person was, I dont know when the case took place, I dont know where the case took place - none of that was said. So to have a reaction using terms like 'leaked information' and 'horrendous breach of confidentiality' seems paranoid in the extreme and a big overreaction to a small anonymous comment.

Back