How to work out Joint Assessment tax for married couple

melly

Hi there,

I'm just trying to find out what the difference of going with joint assessment would be exactly and I can't find out how to work it out really - I found the guidelines on revenue.ie quite vague, they showed two examples a before and after but didn't explain how they worked it out so any help would be much appreciated. For info, one of us is on €44,000 and the other €28,600 so I know there would be a difference alright but really want to work it out! Obviously - I am useless at this stuff and maybe there is a very straightforward way that people are aware of.

Thanks a lot

The standard rate band goes up to €65,600 and this can be divided between spouses where one earns less than €32,800 subject to certain limits.

In your case you are not using €4,200 of your standard rate band, which your spouse could use so €4,200 x 21% = €882.

Exactly as above- the lower earner will have an SRCOP equal to his/her income and the higher earner will have €37000 taxed at 20%.

I've an Excel spreadsheet ['Allocating SRCOP'] which helps with this type of query- see http://taxcalc.eu/monthlyss

Okay thanks for your answers, just one more question, in the case of a public servant, pension contributions need to be taken into account? Why is this?

All pension deductions -whether public or private sector- lower your taxable income and thereby may impact on the amount of your SRCOP.

Back