What work can I do with 100k in the bank?

Forget Bouncy Castles it's over done.
Franchising: Coffee,sanwiches are over done. Believe Snap is succesful.

To be honest knock €90 off the mortgage take the family on a really good holiday and go back to work if as you say you can

I lost €150K in Franchise and a marriage and still owe a fortune on the house.But I'm back earning a wage. You don't sound like an entrepreneur and there is no easy money in self employement.

Agreed on the coffee, sandwiches and bouncy castles. I can always earn a wage with my skillset so not worried if whatever I go into doesnt work out.
What youre suggesting is to not try at all, I know theres horror stories out there (sorry for yours) but theres also success stories too. All one can do is give everything and prepare not to fail and if its not working out, know when to cut the losses and get out.
To turn around in 50 years and look back and to have known I had a chance at trying something and didnt is not where I want to be.
While it may be easy for me to say now, its not all about the money.

I'm curious as to why the OP is so determined to invest money to achieve working for himself. There are many options for 'working for himself' that don't require investment, including many trades, and basic services such as window cleaning etc.

I'm curious as to why the OP is so determined to invest money to achieve working for himself. There are many options for 'working for himself' that don't require investment, including many trades, and basic services such as window cleaning etc.

Very good point. Keep the lump sum and start your own business Win Win.

We still don't know what skills the OP has so it's hard to give anything other than very general advice.

My skillset would be mainly IT, have all relevant certs & experience for my particular discipline and think (hope?) I could go back full time or contract without too much problems.

I dont have to invest money in whatever I decide to do but would like to think the money would open doors that may be closed without the financial parachute that exists.
Example, if there was a course for career X somewhere, I could afford not to work while I took the course, that would be another way of taking advantage of the lump sum so I would be investing in myself and not just buying a car or a van.

More then one person has mentioned spread betting to me, theres horror and success stories in this, is there a course for this or are books (recommendations for same?) and trial accounts sufficient to gain enough experience to try it for real?

Advice and suggestions so far are very much appreciated.

I dont have to invest money in whatever I decide to do but would like to think the money would open doors that may be closed without the financial parachute that exists.
Example, if there was a course for career X somewhere, I could afford not to work while I took the course, that would be another way of taking advantage of the lump sum so I would be investing in myself and not just buying a car or a van.
Don't limit yourself to doing courses. You could (for example) take a job in a coffee shop cleaning tables and emptying the bins if needs be, with the objective of learning that business from the bottom up, before you go and open your own shop.
My skillset would be mainly IT, have all relevant certs & experience for my particular discipline and think (hope?) I could go back full time or contract without too much problems.

More then one person has mentioned spread betting to me, theres horror and success stories in this, is there a course for this or are books (recommendations for same?) and trial accounts sufficient to gain enough experience to try it for real?
Here's everything you need to know about making your fortune in spread betting http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=94716&page=2

Why not do a start your own business course? There is a good one with DCEB.IE in the College in the IFSC. I did an Idea Generation course in there and it was very good. Got a lot from it and helped me think of ideas. Check it out at this link http://www.dceb.ie/event-calendar/dceb-training-course Also check this book out, http://tinyurl.com/9z4odk its brilliant. I read it. I think its a great book for anyone thinking of starting a business.

I think they are good starting points for you.

Franchise is like self help books, a total waste of time.
You will use someones idea and meathods to make money, but they make it before you do......
tatler he speak the truth gringo!
daveyjones is also right!
Bank it, put it under you mattress, what ever, but think long and hard about what you want to do.
By the way........
If you do decided to put it under your mattress....
Tell me where you live and when you will be out......... lol

Back