House Insurance- Rental tenants

S

Steve75

hello

My girlfriend and I have recently become engaged, we are currently renting house while we wait to find our own.

Our question is, do we need to take out separate insurance on the engagement ring or is it covered as part of the contents in the lanlords house insurance cover.

Thanks for any advice

Steve

You cannot insure something in which you have no insurable interest.

The landlord doesn't stand to lose from the loss/theft of you partner's engagement ring.

Therefore I do not see how it can be covered under his contents insurance.

no - you have to take out a policy on your own - minimum contents should cost you no more that 150 - for the reasons outlined by CCovich above

I was under the impression that it was difficult for tenants to get contents insurance-who would be good to approach?

The landlord would have his/her contents covered only not your contents. make sure to put the engagement ring on an all-risks policy in order to have the ring covered when it is out of the house

It is very difficult to get insurance if you are renting however the main sticking point seems to be if there are people from more than two families sharing. If there are just the two of you it should be possible to get a policy.

I'm sharing a house with one other person now but the landlady or her husband use the third room in the house for one night every month or so. This means technically there are three people from different families living in the house (according to the insurers) and so I'm still not able to get any insurance for my contents.

The only place I ever found that was willing to do it was Bank of Ireland but they wanted each individual in the house to take out a separate policies (so there would have been four policies in place for the same house, inlcuding a potential fifth if the landlord had contents cover, which presumably he did) - unfortunately I couldn't persuade my housemates at the time to do this nor afford to pay four premiums myself.

thanks for the advice

NHG, you mention an all risks policy, could you advise of a company which provides this cover to tenants?

thanks
steve

Back