Car Stolen - Valuation pending - What comeback have I got?

FewEuro

My car was stolen 26 days ago. I am due to get a valuation figure on my car today and to be honest I'm waiting to be dissappointed. I'd like to know what I can do about it if the insurance company offer a ridiculous figure to me. Is there any way of getting a figure that even remotely represents market value for my car?

The car was an Audi A4 2.0 TDI 2005

My experience to date has been nothing but hardship. After a phone call every day for the last fortnight (at least) 'the engineer' is finally supposed to provide an offer figure to me today. I submitted all the relevant forms, copy of the licensing certificate etc 15 days ago, they then lost the copy of the licensing cert and I faxed it to them again last monday week, and still it has taken until today (well I haven't heard anything back yet despite another call today) to get an offer from the engineer. I got a rental car for 5 days only, so the rest of the time has been borrowing cars getting lifts etc as I commute in to Dublin every day.

I sent on the initial receipt for the purchase of the car and a letter from an Audi Garage to confirm the market value for the car, to see if that would help. I'm not trying to make money out of this, just not be out of pocket, which I thought was the idea of being insured.

Back to the point in hand though. Is there anyway of getting a figure which represents the value of my car or at least making the insurance company stand over the figures that will offer to me? Maybe I'm judging them too early, but going by my experience to date, I'm not expecting to be impressed.

Look on differant websites/car magazines & pull out examples of the exact same car you have cc mileage etc... & provide them to the insurance companies as examples of how much it costs to replace your car. An audi dealership will quote higher figures then buy & sell.

My car was stolen a few years back. First off my car at the time was 9 years old. However, the offer was still lame. I wrote back advising that with that sum of money I would not be able to replace the car I had stolen, as I wanted to be in the same position I was before my car was stolen.

I gave evidence of current cost of car on market. I also provided evidence of my yearly service to the car, and requested my garage to provide me with evidence of work I had done on the car i.e new breaks, etc.

My car had also been NCT'd about a week before - so I provided that documentation.

I went back 3 times before I agreed with them.

They will always offer lame first... if you don't push, you get nothing.

Thanks for the advice, I'm getting all the research I can find gathered up at the moment.
Got an offer yesterday which as I suspected was insulting, approximately 4 grand off what I would not be happy with, but would settle for. I understand that I will not receive what that car is being sold for at garages etc. I just think that the offer is unreasonable, don't advertise that you are insuring my loss and that I'm safe in your hands if I'm not!

Anyway, I've a letter explaining my last four weeks of chasing the insurance company and only receiving an offer yesterday. Never once have I received a call from the insurance company to update me or reassure me that I'll be looked after. I'd get plenty of calls if I was late with a payment.

We'll see what happens, again though, my expectations are low based on the treatment so far.

Have you tried getting them to give you a contribution towards additional car hire based on their tardiness?

Back