Accident involving car and Artic Truck

Violet Rose

I dont know if i have this posted in the right place, if not please move -

Friday evening last collected my 2 boys and driving home, just went round a bend and an artic on myside of the road, somehow, I mounted the embankment and next thing i know the side of car there is a tearing noise, truck scraping along the car.... my car was stopped at this stage.. , stood on the horn of my car, managed to get the door open and roared after the truck... he stopped and came back to me... the kids are screaming, I rang the garda - they said he was totally wrong on myside of the road.. tyre marks were visible etc...
The ownes of the truck company met me as they wanted to see the extent of the damage to my car, he said he would pay cash rather than insurance... my garage man said he would ring him on Sat with price - in the meantime, owner of truck contacted me on sat to know where exactly the accident happened - told hm and he had a look and rang me back saying he couldnt see anything and that "it wouldnt have been that bad" - i told him deal with garda as they had my statement.
My garage has now tried to contact him and he is not answering the calls. So I am now going through the insurance and he can sod off....
What i am really asking is should i go to a solicitor to have this documented incase he tries to run rings around me....
I have an appt with GP as driving at the moment I am a bit nervous, so hopefully she will give me something just to calm the nerves.

What is the best thing to do -

Yes you should definitely get a solicitor. A solicitor will obtain their own costs on a successful conclusion. It also sounds like there could be an element of personal injury to you/possibly your children so whether or not you proceed with that you should at least deal through a solicitor so as not to prejudice any potential case.

I have to say i dont really see the point of involving a solicitor here. If you have the insurance details for the truck, just report the claim under your own policy (as you're obliged to do) and give your insurer the name and insurance details for the Artic driver.

Its obvious that liability lies with them so their insurance company should settle up with them quick-smart. Involving a solicitor will just drag the process out.

If you have an injury as a result then go to a solicitor, any expenses incurred by you, prescriptions, etc should be re-imbursed. If you do get over it in the next few weeks write to his insurers and ask them to pay you for your out of pocket expenses.

Don't agree to a final settlement until you are happy that it hasn't cost you.

The most important thing is of course that everyone is ok!

just getting back to this agian.... the owner of the truck is adament that he pays cash - I asked him 3 times for his insurance details and has declined, firstly he said he would send out assessor, then he said he would prefer cash to pay and wanted an answer - told him i would get back to him but didnt, he was given 10 days to produce insurance details to garda and time is up tomorrow, he rang again just now to pay cash, when I asked why cant i have his insurance details, he said his premiums would go up and he didnt want that to happen.
I am absolutely sickened as to why he should get away with this, I dont want anything from this, as prev poster said we are all ok and thank god for that, but I want my car repaired and I want him to be punished somehow!!!
Should he let get away with paying cash or should i go thru insurance ?

You should only be accepting cash from him IF you are satisfied that you and all family members involved are ok, if there is even the slightest doubt about this, get yr man's insurance details from Gardai and go thru them. If he's still looking to settle privately later, a few companies will let him reimburse them or he gives the money to them and they pass to you - to ensure there's no negative impact on his policy.

You are entitled to have his insurance details. Contact the Gardai and tell them he will not provide them.

Are there any personal injuries?

If not get an estimate for a TOP CLASS repair and give it to the owner. Getting cash from him is ok.

Him having no insurance is my worry as I called to garda barracks today as this is his 10th day to produce his details and no details were given in yet, so I was advised to write a letter to the superintendent to request the insurance details.
The truck owner wants to pay the cash towards the end of my car being fixed - not upfront!!!

Him having no insurance is my worry as I called to garda barracks today as this is his 10th day to produce his details and no details were given in yet, so I was advised to write a letter to the superintendent to request the insurance details.
The truck owner wants to pay the cash towards the end of my car being fixed - not upfront!!!

Do just that then.

Cash up front is the only way incidentally.

Make sure to also include an amount for car hire for the time your car is off the road.

Back