can medical information be given out in references by ex employers

Rocky4

My friend is about to leave a large multi national company that she worked @for five years, In her last year she was quite sick and underwent an operation, thus missing about six weeks altogether over the year with sickness related to her problem, She submitted doctors reports/consultants reports etc at the request of her employer, My questions is , When her new employer seeks a reference can they say she had an operation and what it was for ?

I very much doubt it. I'm not even sure that she should have been obliged to submit detailed medical information to her employer. Of course the employer could presumably refer to absenteeism due to unspecified health reasons but if they were to refer to her detailed medical history then I would imagine that they would be on dodgy ground in relation to data protection and privacy laws.

if you friend was out sick for any reason all she needs to tell the employer is that she was sick.an employer has no right to know what the issue was and no right to ask specifics. a doctor can write her a note/cert saying she had a medical illness.
if it's mentioned to her new employer by the old then i would imagine she could sue the old employer for divulging information.

a doctor can write her a note/cert saying she had a medical illness.
The doc's cert has a section on it for the doc to specify the nature of the illness. However, I agree that the employer should not disclose details of the illness, beyond the fact that the absence occured.

u are correct but this cert is for the socail wlefare
a doctor's not can simply state medical illness and this can then be given to an employer

I recently had a sick note for work and it read 'Jpe Bloggs is unfit for work for 1 week suffering from X illness', written on doctors pre printed note paper. This I understand is confidential to your employer and not for reference at any further date.

Whats on any sick cert is irrelevant to the original question.

If the company collect details of an employees medical status for one reason they are preculded under the terms of the data protection act from divulging the information for a different purpose.

Keep in mind that a pre-employment medical at the new company may well ask questions about recent illnesses or injuries.

Back