Irish Naturalisation for ICT professional

hakouna

Apologies in advance if this is not the right place to post my question .
Well , I am a non-national Telecommunication engineer working for American multinational crowd in Ireland , was originally hired in this company in my home country .
I was asked , back in 2001 , to do an international assignment in the same company Irish branch for 3 months . Those 3 months were extended to 10 months and at the end of the 10 months the Irish director offered me a local Irish contract . As I wasn't earning from Ireland , The Irish embassy at my home country advised me to get a D-Training type visa to come to Ireland for the 3 months ( extended later to 2 more D-Training visas to cover the 10 months ) , during this period my salary was transfered automoatically to my bank account back home , I wasn't earning any penny from Ireland .
After getting the local contract I am resident in Ireland based on renewable work permit/authorisation since 2002 uptill now and earning and paying tax of course in Ireland .
Now after 5.5 years , I applied for naturalisation and my application didn't go through for the reason that 4 months out of the 10 months I spent under the D-Training visa were NOT reckonable residency in the state and they were considered for the purpose of "study" , bear in mind that my residency in the first 10 months were identical in terms of visa type ( 3 D-training visas covering the full period ) .
Now I am very reluctant on what to do next , by September my 4 unreckonable months will be over , should I try and re-apply based on the last reply I got from citizenship section or another officer will see that I have to wait another 6 months before the full 5 reckonable years will be covered next year or this 10 months should be reckonable period since I wasn't in the state for the purpose of Study and I should appeal for that .
A friend of mine managed to get away with 3 years of D-training visa in his naturalisation application while he was studying his PHD and his application never rejected like mine , the only difference that he was earning some money here and paying tax of course .
It is very clear for me that granting Irish citizenship is up to the minister of justice descrition but I don't really undrestand how the 10 months were split , just want to undrestand to avoid any further conflict .
Thanks in advance

Reading through your post - there seems to be a number of things that are confusing and it would be useful if you could clarify.

1. To my knowledge, the D-type visa you mention is issued to those granted permission to remain in Ireland for the purposes of study. If you were working in Ireland - why were you on a D-type student visa here?

2. What happened after this first D-type visa expired? How was that visa renewed?

3. What stamp was in your passport during that time - stamp 2 or stamp 2 (a)?

4. What stamp is in your passport now - stamp 4?

4. Work permits and work authorisations are not the same thing - in fact they are very different and are aimed at different categories of workers. It is not possible to be legally resident in Ireland on the basis of a renewable work permit/work authorisation. You are here on the basis of one or other - which one is it? (I presume it is a work authorisation but can you confirm this?)

5. The rules on set out what is considered reckonable residence. According to Oasis, periods of residence in Ireland aren't counted that were covered by permission to remain if that permission:
  • Was for the purposes of study (i.e. you were on a student visa) whether or not that study involved you being employed during any of the period of study
6. You say that in September, your 4 unreckonable months will be up. I don't understand what you mean by this. Can
you clarify?

If you provide the answers to the above questions, it may be easier to advise. If you don't wish to post here, PM me.

CMCR.

Last edited:
A friend of mine already applied he was here on an intercompany transfer visa, but changed to work authorization in May 2002. He applied last year around 2005 he was given a letter that his file will be opened in 2008 early. By then he'd have completed his 5 years on work authorization. so he had the question does "applying for citizenship under naturalization" before completion of 5 years on work authorization has any set back? Does he being on inter-company transfer visa earlier be counted et all??

Back