got 70k USD, want to buy a bar, somewhere in South America

Hey Ivers57

I agree with previous post about Colombia.

I'm just back from there recently and spent a few months in Taganga, small fishing village town a few hours north of Cartagena. Tourism is really taking off there recently and sites etc would still be very cheap.

There is a good few hostels already most popular is Casa de Felipe. There is only 1 club and 1 or 2 real drinking bars, so town is in serious need of good busy tourist bar!

Taganga's got steady flow of tourists ‘cos it’s a jumping off point for Tyrona national park and the Lost City Trek etc. Really cool place and give you the lifestyle your after. Won’t bore you about corruption etc in Colombia!!!

That would be my number 1 option if I was you.

Second would be somewhere in Nicaragua - San Juan del Sur ideally but probably pricey to set things up there as well established tourist spot.

Let me know if you ever get this arranged and I’ll come work with/for you – seriously!

Good luck man - live the dream!!

Just back after a month in Colombia so as its being discussed in this thread, thought I'd offer my two cents. As regards personal security, there is a problem but its nothing like the reputation that has been built up from times past. The Colombian Tourist Boards slogan sums it up well ('the only risk is not wanting to leave'!).
I was in rural areas where it was safe as houses. During the day it was safe as houses virtually everywhere although I have heard of people getting robbed in broad daylight. Night time is a different story. You have to be switched on. Cali is trouble. Medellin and Bogota - were ok, but there were areas where I was told by the locals to get out of as it was only a matter of time before someone pulled a blade on me.
As regards the political problem, there were 25 FARC and 7 police killed in an ambush whilst I was there. However, the government have really turned the tables on FARC and their activity is minimal now.
Having said all that, we are not talking about someone going on holidays. The OP sounds well traveled and if so, probably has developed street smarts at this stage. There are plenty of gringos doing what he proposes in Colombia without any of these types of problems.
I agree with others in that Colombia is a rough diamond with the potential to flourish with regard to tourism. Ironically, they have some great tourist attractions and do stuff like museums and parks well - but their tourist industry seems to be internal for the most part. I have never seen a country with so many police/soldiers/private security - they are really making an effort to make the place safe. Flights are cheap from places like Miami & Texas - and considering that Colombia is probably the only pro-american country in South America, I think you would find a lot of yanks down there if things got just a little bit safer.
I have always had admiration for people that are doing what the OP proposes - takes balls. Not getting ripped off in business dealings has got to be one of the major issues in these countries. Wasn't there long enough to work out how bad it is on the corruption front. However, did come across a european who had a good way of getting around the red tape. He has established a 'boutique' hotel in an old colonial house. Its not registered as a hotel with the authorities so he doesnt have to worry about backhanders and red tape (although as it develops, he says that ultimately he will). Keeps adding rooms as the money comes in. All bookings are coming via the net.

Hello,
I believe you have pretty clear what is what you really want for your near future. I´ve travelled quite a lot in the last five years and there are so many places where you can invest your money, around southamerica, near the sea, but most of all are within your budget . You are going to find so many interesting opinions, some will say Argentina others will say Brazil, others Ecuador, maybe Colombia why not Chile etc etc, but in the end is you who have to decide where is that you feel safer and is more comfortable.
Im from Ecuador I own a place in Quito and got lots of connections in this country, i have a travole agency and have a small youth hostel with a little bar for tourists.
If you sometime want to ask me anything just give a shout at 00593 22567628

feedback

Hi!

I just came accross this post which was posted 2 years ago.

I just wanted to know if you manage to achieve your dream.

I am planning to do the same think somewhere in South America and I would like to know how it went for you and if you had any advise for me.

I have never been there so I will go travelling for 6 months to see where I would like to start my "new Life" I am just worried about things such as Visa for instance as I am French and live in London at the moment

Any help will be appreciated!

Thank you

i was thinking
timing is everything
holding gold through to now doubles your money
but
in the meantime the chileans had the earthquake
and the chilean peso is very strong
prices - well it all depends
rural land in chile can be expensive
so as anywhere you get what you pay for
but
a good beer and completo
in clean surroundings could see lots of business
although plenty of cheap crappy competition
too

Did you ever get anywhere with buying a bar in south/central america? Im in the same situation as you, same amount of money and same goals(opening a bar/hostel/restaurant. Am planning a lil reconnaissance trip down that way this winter, so was just wondering if you have any info you wanna share? or if any of the guys on this post have any ideas or info to share, feel free to shoot me an email [email protected]

Back