Key Post: Force Majeure question

U

unregistered

Turned down by company because the illness in question was of an ordinary nature.
Thought I was reasonably familiar with legislation but told that the act defines illnesses and ordinary illnesses are NOT covered.
Have been to the Oasis site and all I got was what I understood to be the position.

Any specific assistance appreciated

Force Majeure question

Have you read the Parental Leave act referenced by the OASIS article?

Anything else useful here:

The DETE employment rights section should be able to appraise you of your statutory entitlements in this situation:

www.entemp.ie

Not sure if the illness you refer to was your own or that of a child/parent, but the provision is intended to cover exceptional/unforeseeable occurances where your presence was ABSOLUTELY necessary.

Clearly, this is open to interpretation, but the regular illness (cold, flu, etc) of a child wouldn't be considered exceptional as say, an instance of them being knocked down on the way to school.

illness

don't know if this stands up, but I was told that if the 'ordinary illness' creates a situation where your childminder cannot care for your child because of the possibility of infection or whatever, then a force majeure situation is created, because you couldn't suddenly arrange alternative childminding and has to stay at home yourself. Would like to know if this is right though.

It is not meant as sick leave for yourself,in the case of your wife being ill in the morning and unable to mind the children then this situation would allow for a force majeure,as you would have to stay home to mind the kids because you would not have time to arrange minders.

Back