online education \ career question

riddles

Hi,

I have been a Manager for over 6 years now - I d'ont have formal qulaifications in Management and am not sure really if its the game for in the longer term. It can obviously be challenging alright but I suppose I don't find it stimulating. One of the area's of weakness I have is in the area of Project Management so I started and online diploma in this.

I have found the content of the course to be slightly weak and perhaps a bit dated. So I began looking at alternatives and found this;

Master of Science in International Management - MSc in IM
By the end of the programme you will have mastered general management theory and its application in today’s global economy. Your understanding of complex organisations and your highly developed analytical and personal skills will equip you for a challenging management position in a wide range of international companies.
http://www.uol.ohecampus.com/index.php?mod=dcp&act=navigationindex&navigationid=10

I have read the information and it says a degree and or experince. I think for this content I have the experience. My questions are;

1) I dont have the time to do a formal course as in night course due to kids and living location etc. Given that I accept an online qualification may not be as valuable as a formal qualification - would two years + acquiring an Msc which I suppose covers academically what I have already covered in my day to day be more valuable than adding a diploma which would give me practical skills to apply.

2) Is 10K on this Msc better spent than 8K on a diploma

3) In the longer term even if I didn't stay in management - it would not better to have the Msc than not?

Kind Regards,

R

Hi Riddles, I'm studying International Diplomacy from Staffordshire University. ( online ) There is no difference in the quality or value of the degree whether studied on campus or online. This course is taught via Blackboard and it makes no difference whether you are there ' live' or not. Obviously you cannot attend activities in person but as it's the academic side you are interested in that wont make any difference.

If you are studying via ' Blackboard ' then you are in contact with all other students in your group. ( a lot of International students probably, bringing a greater mix of experience ). I cannot comment on your particular course or if it's a good idea or not but perhaps you can find out a bit more before you register. Diploma versus Degree with a difference of 2000K? it's unlikely that you will have covered in your day to day work the content of a MSc bearing in mind the length of the dissertation?

thanks I wasn't being disparaging or anything but it has been mentioned to me before by recruitment people that they will favour the more established classroom based education thats all.

Anyway thanks. Anyone have any advice on who is the best online provider - I know open university are the most establihed but price wise they are a bit higher than most

thanks

Hi, i come from a recruitment background (recruitment consultant) and generally what i find the case when reviewing CV's as long as the person has the qualification( whether online or on campus) it doesnt matter. The major thing is experience, which sounds like you would have. In teh end, experience in a particular area will always outweigh a piece of paper claiming that you know the theory etc, its all about your history of putting it into practice.

How much can project management really be taught
In my experience people can either project manage well or they can't

Project Managers need to be able to absorb alot of detail but not get bogged down in detail,be able to take an overview see the wood for the trees,be able to listen to people,be good under pressure,be able to take decisions,be organised and disciplined and ideally have leadership skills(though this is not always essential some project managers work very collaboratively ,are good facilitators and this works)

Some people no matter what academic qualifications they have just cannot do the above. I don't really thing anyone would get a PM job based on a qualification,most people get the opportunity to try it out from an existing position

Back