Car broke down - Is retailer liable for rental in meantime

lisp

Hi, 1st time posting and hope I have the right forum. I recently bought a 2nd hand car which is still under warranty. We went away for a few nights down the country at the weekend when it started losing power. Long story short, there was an issue with the turbo. The garage we bought it from were very helpful and had the car brought to their garage and is ready for collection tomorrow and gave us a car Monday evening. My question is, are the garage liable for the cost of the car we had to hire? I don't want to cause agro with them, but we are out of pocket because of it. Thanks for any info.

if the garage gave you a car that should be classed as a courtesy car, and its free. I they try and get rental plead poverty etc It was their fault selling you a dodgy car. Make sure they give you paperwork for the repair and a guarantee. A turbo is expensive, very expensive

it was their fault selling you a dodgy car.

Bit harsh that, a turbo can fail for a variety of reasons, most if not all reasons for failure are not evident in advance of a failure, it seems like you are being well looked after and the car is most probably a courtesy car.

bit harsh that, a turbo can fail for a variety of reasons, most if not all reasons for failure are not evident in advance of a failure, it seems like you are being well looked after and the car is most probably a courtesy car.

+1

In answer to the question, no, a garage is not obliged to pay for the cost of a rental while a car is in for repair under warranty, unless the warranty details specifically state this to be the case.

As has been stated though, if they gave you a car without discussing rental terms, then it's a courtesy car that you do not have to pay for.

I think you're mis-reading the OP. They were given a replacement car on the Monday but over the weekend they had to use a hire car as they were away over the weekend. That's the car they want paid for by the garage.

I think you're mis-reading the OP. They were given a replacement car on the Monday but over the weekend they had to use a hire car as they were away over the weekend. That's the car they want paid for by the garage.

That was my understanding but the point Palerider made stands.

Thanks for replies, I havent been on since posting, wifi was down. Anyway, yes, the car garage gave me was from Monday, had to hire a care from Saturday to Monday at a cost of E230. Garage said they can't refund us that money and don't know whether to push the issue or not. We're collecting the car today so will have a chat, don't fancy my chances though... Thanks again for replies.

Just to add, the turbo was done by a different garage and was still under warranty, so garage I bought car from did not have to pay for the repair.

Thanks for clarifying. You can certainly ask them, but they are under no obligation to pay unless, and it's very unlikely, there is a clause in the warranty they provided stating specifically that they will pay such expenses.

Back