declaring a car off the road - car tax

D

dido

anyone know when the law is being brought in banning people declaring there car off the road for car tax purposes ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't it already in? Don't you have to show evidence your insurance was suspended for the period?

I got mine stamped 2 weeks ago . Was asked no questions, just handed in the form garda stamped it and handed it back to me . And where does it Say anywhere that this has been stopped .

As yet there have been no changes to the system.

You get the form from the garda station or from the RSA website. What happens in the Garda station is that "you" are declaring to the motor tax office by way of signing the form that the car has been/is off the road. The Garda mearly witnesses this declaration.
He/She may ask you some questions, or may not. They can decline to wittness the form for whatever reason or they may ask you for some proof, or not. They most likely will if you are declaring it for a long period retropectively.

Last edited:
As yet there have been no changes to the system.

You get the form from the garda station or from the RSA website. What happens in the Garda station is that "you" are declaring to the motor tax office by way of signing the form that the car has been/is off the road. The Garda mearly witnesses this declaration.
He/She may ask you some questions, or may not. They can decline to wittness the form for whatever reason or they may ask you for some proof, or not. They most likely will if you are declaring it for a long period retropectively.

My understanding of this is the same as yours in that the Garda in question is merely witnessing you signing the declaration. However, I don't believe they are entitled to query the declaration or decline to sign the form. I know they do sometimes ask people why the car has been off the road as I overheard this in a Garda station last year, but I think they just use it as a "frightener" to discourage false declarations.

I'm open to correction of course ;)

Is it possible for someone else to present this form at the garda station for you? Want to retax our car after it being off the road for 5 months, but will be getting a family member to drive it down to Dublin to meet us from airport.

The form must be presented by the registered owner for signature by the Garda. What is happening here is that you are signing a declaration in the presence of the Garda that the vehicle was not used during the period that it was untaxed and the Garda is witnessing that declaration.

Last edited:
Back