Cats in houses - maintaining a reasonable balance

Staples

My sister is in the process of adding another cat to add to the two she already has. Needless to say, she loves the creatures (to what I'd consider a disturbing level). Otherwise, she lives alone.

The trouble of course, is with her house. It smells like a zoo.

From peoples' experiences, is there any way to look after house-kept cats that won't turn your house into a no-go area? Any sources of advice? For example, can they be encouraged to do all their "essentials" outside (preferably on the M50)?

Any help appreciated.

I have two cats and essentially we have one room which they sleep in, eat in and have litter trays. They go out during the day and come in to the sitting room with us during the evening. One thing I will recommend is the new cat litter - I don't know the name but it is white crystals, sometimes with blue through them. This is the best cat litter I have ever had, it neutralizes smell immediately and doesn't have to be changed as regularly.

PS: Does the smell bother your sister? I know people who wouldn't keep animals because they are so houseproud - in our house we have four rescue animals and couldn't give a rats what people think about either house/smell - we love em:D

I have two cats and essentially we have one room which they sleep in, eat in and have litter trays. They go out during the day and come in to the sitting room with us during the evening. One thing I will recommend is the new cat litter - I don't know the name but it is white crystals, sometimes with blue through them. This is the best cat litter I have ever had, it neutralizes smell immediately and doesn't have to be changed as regularly.

+ 1. I also have cats that sleep in at night and go in and out all day. Has your sister got carpets? I have all hard wood floors but would imagine if I had carpets there might be a smell.

What is causing the smell? A healthy cat will have little or no odour, and will normally use a litter tray or go outside.

or go outside.

I wish mine would, they come back in to go to the toilet then back outside :rolleyes:

I agree though, if you are clean and don't have dirty litter trays or food lying around then there should not be a smell - unlike dogs who stink if they wet :D
I think sometimes people who don't like cats get paranoid about them. If it doesn't bother the owner then leave it alone I say!

Is this not just a matter of training. ( Course can one teach an old cat new tricks ? ) Our tabbies are 9 and 10 yrs old. They have free run of the house and outside by day. At night they can only access the utility where their baskets & food is. There's a flap form there to outside. They can't access rest of house at night. They eat in and use the same'ish patches of our garden for what they have to do. ( well fertilised shrubs we have :D ). Recently one was injured and had to be kept in for 2 weeks. She adapted back to the litter tray no prob. ( one of those covered ones with an odour filter on top ) . There is no smell inside that we're aware of ( or that anyone's ever mentioned :eek: ) . The only problem is the moulting season, which now seems to be 11 of 12 months.

Re a new cat, I'd be careful introducing a new cat to an existing household of 2 cats. I'm sure there is guidance on this but there might be a few scraps while territories are reaffirmed.

We have 2 cats - they used litter trays up to about 9 months but go outside now. Even during litter tray use the smell wasn't bad - you can get deodorising powder, plus regularly clean out the trays, a few times a day - replacing all litter completely and disinfecting at least once a week.

Our cats are semi house cats - they get in in the morning to be fed then straight back out when I go to work. They come in in the evenings when I get home for about 4-5 hours or so (if they want to - they don't always) then out for the night. Essentially, they are out all night and most of the day.

Cats should easily adapt to urinating/defecating outside and in general, are very clean animals. There should be limits though - e.g. we never allow them on beds or furniture. Don't see any reason why the house should smell bad really.

We take away the litter tray by day, so she does the business outside.

Yeah I have actually tried that but cat just came in and pee'd in the place where the litter tray used to be? :confused:

Might give it another go though, I have a feeling mine are a bit too feckin pampered! ;)

Yeah I have actually tried that but cat just came in and pee'd in the place where the litter tray used to be? :confused:

Might give it another go though, I have a feeling mine are a bit too feckin pampered! ;)

Well at least all our cats are still letting us live in their houses :D

Is the smell from the litter tray? It really should be emptied as soon as possible - twice a day, including when urine has clumped. We have one of these and quite like it, makes the job a lot less icky:

[broken link removed]

An enclosed litter tray; to empty it, you simply roll right, then back left. Any clumps of material go into a drawer to be removed (we keep ours in the bathroom, so its quickly flushed), while the clean litter goes through a filter. Bought outs online from petsupermarket.co.uk for around €50 I think.

Thanks for all the very helpful replies.

I suspect the food pellets (if that's the right term) left exposed in the various bowls might also be a source of the smell.

I have a feeling mine are a bit too feckin pampered! ;)

Show me a house cat that isn't ;). Ours have a game they play, it's really designed to ensure I get enough exercise. Especially when I'm being lazy, like when reading a good book with a glass of vino on a weekend.

Cat 1 comatose in sunroom.
Cat 2 comatose outside.
Muggins sits down with book & vino.
Within approx 10 seconds :-
Cat 2 paws sunroom door to be let in.
Muggins gets up opens door lets cat 2 in.
Muggins closes door & sits down again.
(Cat 2 now in sunroom)
(Cat 1 has slipped into kitchen and out cat flap without being seen)
Cat 1 arrives at sunroom door to be let in.
Muggins gets up opens door lets cat 1 in.
(Cat 1 now in sunroom)
(Cat 2 has slipped into kitchen and out cat flap without being seen)
Muggins closes door & sits down again.
Cat 2 paws sunroom door to be let in.

. . . . repeat ad infinitum or until fridge door opens in which case both cats exit wherever they are and lay siege to fridge until ham is surrendered.

Graham, love the post :D
reminds me of my cat who, while having his own cat flap, still expects us to let him out when we are awake and near him
two or three cats shouldn't be causing any smell if properly cared for, i.e. change the litter every day - the best brand is Catsan, you can get it in Tesco, I think
ours does his business outside every day and he loves the outdoors but he is far from being smelly
however, if your sister is a cat collector and/or takes in animals who aren't spayed, she could be soon facing a very difficult problem.

Another great use for that wonderstuff, WD40!

Cats don't like the smell - if possible (I realise it mightn't be if the area is carpeted) spray some in the area(s) they are peeing in - they'll look for somewhere else pretty quickly and very soon, should realise that it's easier all round just to go outside.

Neighbour had her cat in bed with her at night.

She ended up in hospital getting a massive fur ball removed from her lungs.

No joke .... twas serious, and touch and go for awhile but she pulled through.

Needless to say ... cats banished from the house since!

Back