How much tax on rental income

T
I am a non-resident landlord and I am late filing for property tax. I was worried about the tax implications.
I am taking from this that as long as my rental income is below my mortgage payment, I do not have a tax liability.

No. No. No.

This thread is about INCOME TAX on rental income. If you make a loss you don't have to pay INCOME TAX.

PROPERTY TAX is a different matter. You DO have to pay that irrespective of any profit or loss.

And the penalty for late payment is severe. In fact TODAY is the last day to declare for 2014

Sorry to bring bad news.

No. No. No.

This thread is about INCOME TAX on rental income. If you make a loss you don't have to pay INCOME TAX.

PROPERTY TAX is a different matter. You DO have to pay that irrespective of any profit or loss.

And the penalty for late payment is severe. In fact TODAY is the last day to declare for 2014

Sorry to bring bad news.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

I was inartful in my post. I know I have to register for the property tax, my concern was that this would red flag me with Revenue as a landlord and I would then have a tax bill on rental income.
I left Ireland in a hurry to take a job and have not been as attendant to these matters as I should have.

I do understand the difference, I just didn't make that clear.

Again, thank you.

I am taking from this that as long as my rental income is below my mortgage payment, I do not have a tax liability.

If your rental income does not cover your rental expenses (which can include 75% of your MORTGAGE INTEREST, NOT mortgage payment) then it is unlikely that will have any liability to income tax

Back