Sale Agreed Price After Survey

Possom

When someone gets a buildings survey done on a house, where the surveyor states in the finished survey the estimated cost of fixing something he has discovered, how do I use this to attempt to negotiate down the sale agreed price?

Assuming something is discovered which I would not have noticed since I'm not a builder or a surveyor.

For example, if he discovers that the roof needs replaced, or the house has rising damp, or there is woodworm in beams and these need replaced etc.

Do I simply contact the estate agent and inform them that the surveyor has found 'x' and estimated the cost of fixing at 'y', and I would like to reduce the sale agreed price by the estimate of fixing provided by the surveyor?

Is it best to contact the estate agent by telephone, e-mail or formal letter to inform them of this?

Thanks for any advice!

For example, if he discovers that the roof needs replaced, or the house has rising damp, or there is woodworm in beams and these need replaced etc.

Do I simply contact the estate agent and inform them that the surveyor has found 'x' and estimated the cost of fixing at 'y', and I would like to reduce the sale agreed price by the estimate of fixing provided by the surveyor?

I would pull out and look for a property without these issues. But if non such are available, or you are set on this property for whatever reason then that’s what I would do.

Probably best to get two further estimates and reduce your offer by the highest of the three.

It is perfectly reasonable to renegotiate a sale agreed price or pull out when a survey reveals serious and expensive issues such as you describe.

It might also cause you problems if you are getting a mortgage to finance the purchase. Probably best to check with your lender before you go any further.

Surely when you paid your "sale agreed" deposit it was subject to survey, mortgage, etc.

There is no such status as "sale agreed". Legally either a contract is agreed (signed and exchanged) or nothing is agreed and you have simply made an expression of interest in the property, subject to the terms above, and paid a refundable deposit to the estate agent.

Back