Drain smoke test

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeffpa

A few years ago there was a nasty smell in our kitchen and after taking the place apart I had someone come out and investigate where it was coming from. I can't remember what company they were but the guy did a smoke test and discovered that there was a gap under the sink around the outlet/pipe leaves the kitchen going to the outside drain. He suggested that we fill it ourselves as it wasn't a big job but he would charge €120 to put some cement around it. I'm pretty sure it was expandable foam we used to fill the gap, it was in an awkward spot under the sink so the easiest thing to use and it semed to do the job and no problems for last 3 years.

I got up this morning and got that smell when I walked into the kitchen. Rather than paying someone again to come out and do a smoke test does anyone have any suggestions (it was €90 to get the guy out last time and in fairness he found the problem and rather than overcharging us he offered a cheaper but viable solution) on what we could do ourselves.
Can I do a DIY smoke test?
Any suggestions on how the smell could have dissapeared after the expandable foam which was 3 years ago and suddenly reappeared?
I nealy had a flamin meltdown the last time trying to fund the source hopefully I'm right about what it is but what's the best way to confirm and fix it?

Are you sure the smell isnt coming from the drains themselves? maybe try some drain cleaner in the first instance if the smell is coming from the sink area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back