Knock 2 houses into 1

Hi,

Does anyone know of any planning permission issues if we were to buy the house adjoined to us and knock through the walls to make 1 big house from the 2? Searched the threads and could find no info. Any advice of help appreciated.

I'm pretty sure you need planning permission for such a change. Ask your local authority perhaps?

If you owned the properties and were only making internal changes I cant see why there would be any pp issues. If you were to make alterations to the front entrances or any external work you would have to consult the planning authority

The Planning Regulations state that ‘exempted development’ includes ‘development consisting of a change of use from use as 2 or more dwellings, to use as a single dwelling, of any structure previously used as a single dwelling.’

So it looks like planning permission is not required to change the use of two separate dwellings in to a single dwelling. The only reason where planning permission may be required is if you are proposing any new external construction works e.g. an extension over 40 square metres in size etc…

Knocking dividing walls between otherwise discrete properties are not simply internal changes as far as I know.

The Planning Regulations state that ‘exempted development’ includes ‘development consisting of a change of use from use as 2 or more dwellings, to use as a single dwelling, of any structure previously used as a single dwelling.’
Surely that just covers, say, converting a house comprising two or more rented flats back into a single household unit but not necessarily knocking dividing walls between two otherwise separate properties? I suspect that the phrase
of any structure previously used as a single dwelling

is key here.

Pantone I'd say that advice is wrong.

That text covers the reconversion of converted flats back into houses "....of any structure previously used as a single dwelling". The OP's question was referring to an adjoining house.

OP - you'd need at the very least a structural engineer as you'd be making openings in the central party wall between the two houses unless you were just joining the two by building a "spanning" extension at the rear.

I'd also suggest you get a planning expert to look at the feasibility of this - depending on the location there may be building density considerations etc.

I think this exercise is relatively common in towns in the North of England where houses are cheap and there is a tradition of communal extended family living in certain communities. The original front doors etc. are kept and, on marriage, the houses are often reconverted back to a single dwelling.

SSE

This is from a UK site on a similar query and I would imagine that at least some of the comments would apply here in Ireland too.

sse,

The text I wrote is quoted directly from the PLanning & Development REgulations 2001-2007. As you can see it does not refer to 'the reconversion of converted flats' as you state, but states simply the 'change of use from use as 2 or more dwellings, to use as a single dwelling' The word used is 'dwelling'. Under the Planning & Development ACt a house is defined as a dwelling along with flats and apartments. So why you think it only refers to changing flats back into a single house I can't understand.

Certainly if it is a protected structure or there are external construction works beyond that which are exempt are required then planning permission will be necessary. And by all means an expert such as a structural engineer would be needed to look at the structural issues involved of knocking the walls.

Also sse, what exactly do you mean by building density considerations? Surely the same floorspace as has always existed on site will remain unless he is extending the property?

Look at your first quote Pantone. It is not just
'change of use from use as 2 or more dwellings, to use as a single dwelling'

but
change of use from use as 2 or more dwellings, to use as a single dwelling, of any structure previously used as a single dwelling.

i.e. if the building was once a single dwelling and then changed into multiple dwellings, it can be converted back to a single dwelling without planning permission.

It does not say that there is an exemption where the building was never a single dwelling.

Well Pantone if you're quoting the text from the act correctly the only situation where the exemption you quoted would apply is if the two houses were originally one dwelling and were converted at some point into two dwellings. The OP owns one and is thinking of buying the other. The OP could then, potentially, turn the two dwellings back into one dwelling via means of the exemption hence returning back to the original state.

If the dwellings were originally constructed as separate dwellings, whether houses or purpose-built flats, this conversion can not occur under the exemption.

Seems that several other people agree with me too.

I probably did mean population density. Friends of ours in the UK wanted to convert a three-flat conversion back into one house but were refused permission because the average density of the area would go down and that was one of the targets the Council was measured on. Under the planning policies at the time the conversion of lovely houses into flats was encouranged via the same planning policy.

SSE

Knocking dividing walls between otherwise discrete properties are not simply internal changes as far as I know.

It does not effect the external area or face of the building(s) involved and is hence an internal change.

It does not effect the external area or face of the building(s) involved and is hence an internal change.

I dont think its a simple as that.

i would be in agreement with SSE as to the fact its not covered as exempted development. the only other way to consider it exempt is under section 4.1 (h) which states "development consisting of the carrying out of works for the maintenance, improvement or other alteration of any structure, being works which affect only the interior of the structure or which do not materially affect the external appearance of the structure so as to render the appearance inconsistent with the character of the structure or of neighbouring structures;".
Is this work to 'any structure'...??? .. i would argue that because two separate structures are being affected then its not exempt under this clause.

however, the only way to know this is to eother contact the planning office or get a decision under section 5 of the act as to whether its exempt or not.... http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2000/en/act/pub/0030/sec0005.html

Another consideration, away from the planning aspects, is the effect on resale. If the two houses are truly "merged" then all other things being equal you'd end up with a house twice as big as any others built in the same row, for example. When/if you come to sell you'd be unlikely to get twice the money, the old adage that it's better to be the worst house on a good road comes into play.

Another thing is that you'd probably have to pay careful note to fire certification as you'd be putting gaps in party walls etc. which are supposed to act as firebreaks.

SSE

hi,

Just wondering if the op or anyone else went ahead with joining two houses? Have been thinking of doing this ourselves but know nothing and would appreciate any advice - positive or otherwise.

Back