Ryanair first six rows closed off due to "balancing the plane."

BOXtheFOX

Last weekend on the way back from Lubeck with Ryanair we were not allowed to sit in the first six rows nor the last four rows of the plane due to "balance" issues. This has been Ryanair's excuse for practically every flight that I have flown with them. However on this occassion there was a problem with the plane and after about an hour we had to disembark because the pilot was having a problem with the hydraulics. Eventually the problem with the hydrolics was sorted and we were allowed back on the plane after about an hour. However as we were boarding we were told to sit anywhere on the plane so that we could take off as soon as possible. How come there was a problem with "balance" when we first boarded the plane but no problem when we boarded the second time?

Maybe the hydraulic issue related to trimming the airctaft? Pilots pump fuel through out the aircraft during flight to counter the effects of both the fuel being used up, as well as shifting centre of gravity.

last few flights with ryanair they didn't do this, thought I have seen it on previous trips. These flights were pretty much full so they knew that they were going to be occupied anyway.

Marginal (if any) difference in balancing weight throughout cabin. It saves the crew time and effort cleaning unused rows of seats.

To be honest I would be very worried if filling up a few seats down the back would affect the centre of gravity of an aeroplane - sounds like rubbish to me!

Nope, not rubbish. The 737 can be sensitive to trim if not particularly full. Ryanair take the lazy way out by not bothering to check how many passengers they have coming. By blocking off the seats they can get a "safe" if not particularly accurate condition for take off.

You should be able to move into those seats after take off, but most of the Ryanair hosties haven't a clue and just say no.

They would rather save 30 seconds then give you a bit more room...but you're not surprised about that though, are you?

Think it also depends on cargo and where it is placed in the hold too. Have had this happen on Aer Lingus and SAS too. Its common...

Definately a balancing act. Was over and back to Paris wekend and they had rows 2/3 closed on both flights. It cuases the hostesses endless hassle to implement this, as people try and sit there anyway, so its unlikely to be contrived.

Asked a Ryanair pilot about this before and he just laughed. Said it has nothing to do with balance or safety of an aircraft. Said he wouldn't fly the plane if the difference between flying safely or not was not allowing passengers to sit in certain rows. He said only very very rarely does seating of passengers become an issue on certain planes and he has never seen it especially on Ryanair who don't carry cargo. He said it is purely a cabin crew decision and the fact that they prefer to leave the top rows empty for whatever reason. Don't know what's true but thats what I heard.

He said it is purely a cabin crew decision and the fact that they prefer to leave the top rows empty for whatever reason. Don't know what's true but thats what I heard.

The cabin crew like to get some privacy during the flight - the best way to do this is to 'hide' at the top of the plane. This isn't easy to do if there are people sitting in the top few rows, particularly on the entrance side of the plane. It's probably easier for them to have all the passengers sitting in as concentrated an area as possible. Any flights where I've seen this done it's frequently the case that people change to these seats during the flight and nothing is said to them.

I would be very surprised to hear that the distribution of the passengers would have anything other than a minor effect on the aircraft's performance.

The cabin crew like to get some privacy during the flight

BINGO — didn't Channel Four do an undercover investigation into Ryanair about two years ago. This was one of the findings, there is no reason for them blocking off those rows, but apparently flight attendants liked to get a bit of kip on flights and wanted privacy.

Planes have been designed to fly with any distribution of people. What next with Ryanair - weighing people, and keeping the heavier people on the flight evenly distributed?

Not sure privacy is the issue.
I sat in row 1, on both legs of journey, as these seats were available.
It was rows 2 & 3 that were closed.

Sorry folks, while the cabin crew like it,the reason is for trim of the aircraft. Lots of the crew have no idea why they do it.Due to the free seating policy of Ryanair they have to do this up to a certain number of passengers. Thats why latecomers often get them, as they have found out how many punters are joining them at that stage.

Very crude from an aviation perspective but I suppose it's safe.

You should try flying to the Aran Islands. They weigh you before you board to get the balance right! I know it's a small plane for 5 passengers but I guess it's the same reason.

But.....When we reboarded the plane we were allowed to sit anywhere, yet an hour earlier we were told, sorry ordered, not to!

as explained earlier.....

Ryanair take the lazy way out by not bothering to check how many passengers they have coming. By blocking off the seats they can get a "safe" if not particularly accurate condition for take off.

by the time you reboarded, they knew the exact passenger numbers

I'm not sure about that. I would often hear one of the cabin crew call out a number say, 109 then walk down the cabin and do a head count to match the 109 figure. So at some point they know the number of people that will be boarding the plane. I don't really understand how they could not know the numbers that will be boarding the plane?

I'm not sure about that. I would often hear one of the cabin crew call out a number say, 109 then walk down the cabin and do a head count to match the 109 figure. So at some point they know the number of people that will be boarding the plane. I don't really understand how they could not know the numbers that will be boarding the plane?
Because they generally don't do check-in. They have a passenger name list of who is supposed to be on the plane (a printout) and they scratch the names off it. They do a count of passes handed in at the gate and a headcount on the plane to make sure that everyone who passed the gate is boarded.

If anyone knows the legal minimum that has to be done at the airport, that is what Ryanair will do.

Especially annonying if there are only single seats left for parents with children.

Back