Other Professional indemnity insurance - do we need it ?

MeathCommute

My wife is a self employed spiritual counsellor who provides one-to-one sessions with clients in either of two premises, both belonging to religious orders. She pays money for the use of the rooms, and she accepts money from her clients for advice that they receive. We have become afraid that she may need insurance to cover accidental physical injury to the clients while they are meeting with her. Would anyone think that this is necessary ? The Insurance Information Service suggesed professional indemnity insurance. I am not so sure about this. Is this insurance not more to do with getting sued for a financial loss ? Any advice would be welcome

"professional indemnity insurance" is the one she needs. Presumably, "occupiers' and public liability insurance" is carried by the owners of the buildings. It won't hurt to check and if there is no insurance in place, which would be highly unusual and irresponsible, she should move elsewhere, pronto. Your wife cannot take out "occupiers' and public liability insurance" on property she does not own as she has no insurable interest.

Given the nature of her work, I wonder if she does need Professional Indemnity insurance? (I don't arrange PI insurance myself so these are just amateur musings, by the way.)

I'm a financial broker and if I make a mistake, clients could potentially be out of pocket. So I have PI cover. I'm just curious what circumstances would potentially give rise to a PI claim for a spiritual counsellor.

Given the nature of her work, I wonder if she does need Professional Indemnity insurance? (I don't arrange PI insurance myself so these are just amateur musings, by the way.)

I'm a financial broker and if I make a mistake, clients could potentially be out of pocket. So I have PI cover. I'm just curious what circumstances would potentially give rise to a PI claim for a spiritual counsellor.

Maybe if they lose their faith as a result of the session....or the devil pays a visit?

Thanks LD Ferguson. She is afraid of a vulnerable client causing themselves physical harm after "bad" advice, and their family suing us. I keep telling her that professional indemnity insurance relates to financial loss, but she still thinks that she needs an insurance to cover this eventuality. I have the number of two insurance cos that I will ring tomorrow to discuss. Thanks again

Based on the service provided and the commentary re cover in respect of "self harm" claims, I doubt whether you will find an underwriter prepared to quote for this business. Let us know how you get on.

Managed to get her Public Liability and Professional Indemnity cover for €130 a year that covers damages up to 2.6 million. That'll probably cover us for most eventualities....

Oh you'd be surprised how silly I can be sometimes. But my post was meant as a light bit of humour and not intended to cause offense, apologies for any caused.

Back